Discover Foundational Mathematics: A Guide to Axioms and Set Theory

• Foundations
  • Thread starter archaic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Introductory
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking recommendations for studying founding axioms and set theory. They prefer freely available resources, but are open to paid ones as well. There are several suggested resources including books, online courses, and websites. The student is specifically looking for something rigorous to study for enjoyment and curiosity.
archaic
Hello, I basically want to know more about the founding axioms, set theory and get a grasp of the foundations. Any suggestions?
Doing a quick search, I have found a free ebook by Kenneth Kunen, http://www.math.wisc.edu/~kunen/770.html, does anyone know of it?
Although I would very much prefer freely available (text)books, recommendations of paid ones are also welcome.
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several online courses like MIT OCW and I found this one from Eliademy:

https://eliademy.com/catalog/fundamentals-of-classical-set-theory.html
But I have not taken it and can’t say how good it is. The description mentions the instructors background and experience which pretty good. It looks to be an undergrad course without mathematical rigor, taught informally and there is a list of related courses at the bottom of the page to consider. Also it mentions its free to take although I don’t know if there are any catches later on.

jedishrfu said:
You could check it out as it looks pretty comprehensive.
It's on the website of a major British university, so you can't go wrong here. Whether it matches expectations is another question, but this is true for every lecture - some teaching styles fit better than others.
archaic said:
I'm an undergraduate, but I'm looking for something to self-study.
I once bought a book about a completely different topic, only to read the proofs of the various equivalent formulations of AC. Not a bad investment, as it turned out to be the best book about analysis I have, although not easy stuff.

My other encounters with set theory are constraint to a small paperback which dealt with the matter in an easy way, talking about the absurdities it creates and was more meant to be entertaining. A scientific approach probably leads to logic. I consider set theory as a part of logic, rather than a subject on its own. Logic, however, is a complicated area and dry as dust. Thus a qualified answer depends on your definition of "study". Personally, I would prefer a historic approach: Zermelo, Cantor, Russell, Gödel. I once found an original from Russell on the internet and, well, it was basically unreadable. The notation alone would have taken a month to learn. Hence my question what you meant by study, i.e. what for?

jedishrfu said:
mathematical rigor
I am actually looking for something rigorous. Maybe I should add that to the topic? I thought that it went without saying that the building blocks should be introduced with adequate rigor. Thank you very much for the recommendations thus far!
fresh_42 said:
Hence my question what you meant by study, i.e. what for?
Enjoyment, pretty much, and to satisfy some curiosity.

1. What is the purpose of "Discover Foundational Mathematics: A Guide to Axioms and Set Theory"?

The purpose of this guide is to introduce readers to the fundamental concepts of axioms and set theory, which serve as the building blocks for all of mathematics. It aims to provide a strong foundation for further mathematical studies and applications.

2. Who is the target audience for this guide?

This guide is intended for anyone interested in mathematics, particularly students and researchers in fields such as pure mathematics, computer science, and physics. It can also be helpful for those looking to refresh their understanding of axioms and set theory.

3. What are axioms and why are they important?

Axioms are statements that are assumed to be true without proof. They serve as the starting point for mathematical reasoning and allow us to build a logical framework for understanding mathematical concepts. Without axioms, mathematics would lack a solid foundation and would be subject to contradictions and inconsistencies.

4. How is set theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Set theory is a foundational branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects, known as sets. It provides the language and tools for defining and manipulating mathematical objects, making it essential for many other branches of mathematics such as algebra, analysis, and topology.

5. What are some real-world applications of axioms and set theory?

Axioms and set theory have numerous applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics. For example, set theory is used in database design and analysis, while axiomatic systems are the basis for many programming languages. In physics, set theory is used to model and analyze complex systems, and axiomatic methods are used to develop theories and models in economics.