1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intuitive Explanation For Why Continuous functions do not preserve Cauchy sequences

1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is it that continuous functions do not necessarily preserve cauchy sequences.

2. Relevant equations
    Epsilon delta definition of continuity
    Sequential Characterisation of continuity

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't see why the proof that uniformly continuous functions preserve cauchy sequences doesn't hold for 'normal' continuous functions.
    In particular the example of f(x) = 1/x on (0,1)
    I have worked through the examples
    http://www.mathcs.org/analysis/reals/cont/answers/fcont3.html
    and here
    http://www.mathcs.org/analysis/reals/cont/answers/contuni4.html

where they address this issue directly, but I can't get my head around it.

I understand that if we have a cauchy sequence converging to 0, then f(xn) is going to diverge to infinity, but I still can't see what the problem is.

Any explanation you can offer would be appreciated.

Kind regards

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Re: Intuitive Explanation For Why Continuous functions do not preserve Cauchy sequenc

Recall that Cauchy sequences are bounded. So if [itex]\{f(x_n)\}_{n \in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] diverges, then the sequence cannot be Cauchy. In particular, [itex]f[/itex] does not take Cauchy sequences to Cauchy sequences.

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    Re: Intuitive Explanation For Why Continuous functions do not preserve Cauchy sequenc

The reason that we need uniform continuity is that we need to be able to find one [itex]\delta[/itex] for each [itex]\epsilon[/itex] that works for all [itex]x[/itex] in a certain interval. This is because in the proof, we do a "double triangle inequality." So, if [itex]\{f(x_n)\}[/itex] is a sequence of continuous functions that converges to [itex]f(x)[/itex] for each [itex]x[/itex] in the interval [itex](a,b)[/itex] then we want to show that [itex]\forall \epsilon \exists \delta[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x_0) - f(x)| < \epsilon[/itex] whenever [itex]|x_0 - x| < \delta[/itex]. We do this by writting:
    [tex]|f(x_0) - f(x)| = |f(x_0) - f_n(x_0) + f_n(x_0) - f_n(x) + f_n(x_0)-f(x)| \leq
    |f(x_0) - f_n(x_0)| + |f_n(x_0) - f_n(x)| + |f_n(x_0)-f(x)|[/tex]

Now, since the sequence is Cauchy, we can control the outer two terms with a big enough [itex]n[/itex] and make them both less than [itex]\epsilon / 3[/itex]. So, we need to be able to ensure that [itex]|f_n(x) - f_n(x_0)| \leq \epsilon / 3[/itex] for every [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]|x_0-x|\leq \delta[/itex]. The only way we can do this is by making [itex]f_n[/itex] uniformly continuous.

As an example, consider the function [itex]f_n(x) = x^n[/itex] on [itex][0,1)[/itex].

5. Apr 1, 2012 #4

Thanks very much to you both.
    I think I can see it more clearly now, (and a good nights sleep always helps too!).
    I will continue to play around with these ideas and if I have any more questions I'll be back.

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook