Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Invariance of an observable A

1. Jan 26, 2017 #1
    How do I know if an observable is invariant, specifically under some set of transformations described via the generators ##G_i##? Which conditions would this observable have to fulfil?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2017 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How is the observable defined? Can it be written in terms of Gi?

4. Jan 26, 2017 #3
    It's just a quantum mechanical observable, A. I have no more information than that about it. I'm not sure what ##G_i## is, so I'm not sure if it can be written like that. Strange question really, can't seem to find the answer on google. :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  5. Jan 26, 2017 #4
    Apparently the answer is that the observable must commute. With what exactly I don't know, but there we are!

6. Jan 27, 2017 #5

strangerep

Science Advisor

The observable is represented as an operator "##A##" (say) on Hilbert space. The symmetry generators ##G_i## are represented as operators on the same Hilbert space. The notion that the observable is invariant under those symmetries is implemented by requiring ##[A, G_i] = 0##. I.e., the observable operator must commute with the symmetry generators.

My only other suggestion is: "get thee to a copy of Ballentine" (quickly). :oldbiggrin:

7. Jan 28, 2017 #6
    Yeah, good plan. Quite a lot of textbooks needed, I think. Thanks for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted