Is H^DaggerH invariant under rotations and translations?

• Thread starter lonewolf219
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invariance
In summary, the conversation discusses the invariance of the Higgs field, denoted as ##H##, under rotations and translations. It is noted that since ##H## is a scalar field, it is already invariant under these transformations. The conversation also mentions that the symmetry group ##SU(2)\times U(1)##, which is a gauge or "internal" symmetry group, has no relation to the Poincare group (rotations and translations).
lonewolf219
Hi,

Since H^DaggerH is invariant under SU(2) X U(1), does this mean that H^DaggerH is invariant under rotations and translations?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
From the limited amount of context you give, I am guessing that ##H## is supposed to be the Higgs field? If so, then ##H(x)## is a scalar field, so by definition, ##H(x)## is already invariant under rotations and translations. As a consequence, ##H^\dagger H## is also invariant under these.

Note that ##SU(2)\times U(1)## is a gauge or "internal" symmetry group. It therefore has nothing at all to do with rotations and translations (collectively called the Poincare group). So the transformation properties under ##SU(2)\times U(1)## are completely independent from the transformation properties under the Poincare symmetries. The latter are determined by the type of field we're dealing with: scalar, spin 1/2, vector, etc.

Thanks, fzero. I'm sorry, yes, you are correct that my question is about the Higgs Field. I think I will use a different notation or state that part in any future posts... I am very happy you answered my poorly written question! This is very interesting information you have provided that I was not aware of!

1. What is the concept of "Invariance of HdaggerH" in science?

The invariance of HdaggerH is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetry of a physical system. It states that the Hermitian conjugate (Hdagger) of a system's Hamiltonian operator (H) is unchanged under a unitary transformation, meaning it remains the same regardless of the basis used to represent it.

2. How does the concept of "Invariance of HdaggerH" relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian operator is used to describe the total energy of a physical system. The invariance of HdaggerH ensures that this energy remains unchanged, regardless of the basis used to represent it. This is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it allows for the conservation of energy in physical systems.

3. Can you provide an example of "Invariance of HdaggerH" in action?

One example of the invariance of HdaggerH can be seen in the behavior of a particle in a one-dimensional potential well. The Hamiltonian for this system is invariant under translations along the x-axis, meaning the energy of the particle remains the same regardless of its position within the well.

4. How does the "Invariance of HdaggerH" affect the behavior of particles in a system?

The invariance of HdaggerH has a significant impact on the behavior of particles in a system. It ensures that the total energy of the system remains constant, which in turn affects the probabilities of different states of the system. This concept is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum particles and their interactions.

5. Is the "Invariance of HdaggerH" a fundamental principle in physics?

Yes, the invariance of HdaggerH is considered a fundamental principle in physics, specifically in quantum mechanics. It is a key concept that helps to explain the behavior of particles and the conservation of energy in physical systems. It is widely used in various fields such as quantum field theory, atomic physics, and condensed matter physics.