Proving Invariance of Lagrangian Equations with Coordinate Transformation?

In summary, the task is to prove that the Lagrangian equations are invariant under a change of coordinates. The approach is to create a set of coordinates and a transformation that preserves the Lagrangian. The Lagrangian equations are then used to show that the transformed coordinates also preserve the Lagrangian. The chain rule is used to properly apply the transformation.
xman
Hi, I'm hoping someone can give a little guidance, my taks is to prove that the Lagrangian equations are invariant under a change of coordinates.

So what I've done is said if we have a set of coordinates say
[tex] \left{ q_{i} \right\} , i = 1, \ldots ,N[/tex]
where I'll assume this first set is adequate and complete. Since we want to show the tranformation of coordinates and the Lagrangian is invariant, I create another set of the form
[tex] q_{k} = \tilde{f}_{k} (q_{1}^{\ast}, \ldots , q_{N}^{\ast},t) [/tex]
where we assume an invertible relationship defined by above. So the Lagragian becomes
[tex] L ( q_{i},t) = L ( \tilde{f}_{1} (q_{k}) , \ldots , \tilde{f}_{N} (q_{k}) ,t) \equiv L^{\ast} [/tex]
Now the Lagragian equations are of course
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_{i}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_{i}} [/tex]
So, I think we must also have
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L^{\star}}{\partial \dot{q}_{i}} = \frac{\partial L^{\ast}}{\partial q_{i}^{\ast}} [/tex]
which leads me to my question. I am sure the last equation is correct just by the form, I'm failing to see how to relate the coordinates and the derivatives as they are transformed. Any ideas would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What a concidence! I've been given the same problem for my classical mechanics assignments about a months ago, except the lecturer gave us the coordinate transformation:biggrin:

I think you've got the transformation right, but I prefer it written in this form

[tex]q'_{i}=q'_{i}(\mathbf{q},t), i=1,2,...,s, \mathhbf{q} \equiv {q_{j}, j=1,2,...,s}[/tex]

Now, the lagrangian is invariant so

[tex]L'(\mathbf{q'},\mathbf{\dot{q'}},t)=L(\mathbf{q},\mathbf{\dot{q}},t)[/tex]

You need to start with the lagrangian equation

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_{i}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_{i}}=0[/tex]

Then apply the chain rule to transform the coordinate from [tex]q_{i}[/tex] to [tex]q'_{i}[/tex].

It should be all right, although the last step is a bit tricky:devil:

Last edited:
thanks, i took your advice and got a nice relationship once i realized how to properply apply the chain rule. most of the time i guess it helps to remember the simple rules of calc.

What is the Invariance of Lagrangian?

The Invariance of Lagrangian is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of nature should remain unchanged regardless of the choice of coordinates or reference frame. In other words, the physical laws governing a system should remain the same regardless of how we choose to describe or observe the system.

What is the significance of Invariance of Lagrangian in physics?

The Invariance of Lagrangian is significant because it allows us to formulate the laws of physics in a way that is independent of the observer or reference frame. This is essential for developing a unified and consistent understanding of the physical world. It also allows us to make predictions and perform calculations that are valid in any reference frame, making it a powerful tool for theoretical and experimental physics.

What is meant by "symmetry" in the context of Invariance of Lagrangian?

In the context of Invariance of Lagrangian, symmetry refers to the invariance of the physical laws under certain transformations. For example, if the laws of physics remain unchanged when we rotate or translate our coordinate system, we say that the system has rotational or translational symmetry. This symmetry is a fundamental aspect of the Invariance of Lagrangian principle.

How does the Invariance of Lagrangian relate to the conservation of energy and momentum?

The Invariance of Lagrangian is intimately related to the conservation of energy and momentum. In fact, it can be mathematically proven that if a system has a symmetry, then there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. For example, if a system has translational symmetry, then the conservation of momentum follows. This connection between symmetry and conservation laws is a key aspect of the Invariance of Lagrangian principle.

Can the Invariance of Lagrangian be violated?

It is theoretically possible for the Invariance of Lagrangian to be violated in certain extreme conditions, such as in the presence of extremely strong gravitational fields. However, this has not been observed in any experiments, and the principle remains a fundamental and highly accurate description of the laws of physics.