1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Invariance of metric tensor

1. Jan 11, 2017 #1
    I'm stuck on an apparently obvious statement in special relativity, so I hope you can help me. Can I define Lorenz transformations as transformations that don't change the spacetime interval in M4 and from this deduct that the metric tensor is invariant under LT? I've always read that the invariance of the metric tensor under LT was assumed, but I've never seen this way of proceeding

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This would not be a deduction, it would be a tautology. "Not changing the spacetime interval" is the same thing as "leaving the metric tensor invariant".

4. Jan 14, 2017 at 12:58 PM #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Tensors don't change under the transformations they are tensors for. That's a definition. What changes in general are the components of tensors with respect to basis transformations.

Denoting the Minkowski product of two four vectors with ##\boldsymbol{x} \cdot \boldsymbol{y}## the metric (or better pseudometric!) tensor's components with respect to an arbitrary basis ##\boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}## are given by
    $$g_{\mu \nu} = \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu} \cdot \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}.$$
    A Lorentz transformation by definition is a linear transformation which leaves the Minkowski products between any two vectors invariant. So defining a new basis via a Lorentz transformation ##\boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}'=\Lambda \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}## implies
    $$g_{\mu \nu}'= \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}' \cdot \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}' = (\Lambda \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}) \cdot (\Lambda \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}) = \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu} \cdot \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}=g_{\mu \nu},$$
    i.e., if you change a basis by using Lorentz transformations, the components of the pseudometric don't change.

This is particularly true for pseudoorthonormal bases, for which
    $$g_{\mu \nu}=\eta_{\mu \nu} =\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1).$$

5. Jan 14, 2017 at 1:15 PM #4
    Thank you for the replies, so I was just confused by the fact I was considering a tautology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted