Is the Metric Tensor Invariant under Lorenz Transformations in M4?

In summary, the discussion revolved around the definition of Lorentz transformations and their effect on the metric tensor in Minkowski space. It was concluded that Lorentz transformations, by definition, leave the metric tensor invariant and do not change the spacetime interval. Therefore, defining Lorenz transformations as transformations that don't change the spacetime interval would be a tautology.
Fermiat
I'm stuck on an apparently obvious statement in special relativity, so I hope you can help me. Can I define Lorenz transformations as transformations that don't change the spacetime interval in M4 and from this deduct that the metric tensor is invariant under LT? I've always read that the invariance of the metric tensor under LT was assumed, but I've never seen this way of proceeding

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermiat said:
Can I define Lorenz transformations as transformations that don't change the spacetime interval in M4 and from this deduct that the metric tensor is invariant under LT?

This would not be a deduction, it would be a tautology. "Not changing the spacetime interval" is the same thing as "leaving the metric tensor invariant".

Tensors don't change under the transformations they are tensors for. That's a definition. What changes in general are the components of tensors with respect to basis transformations.

Denoting the Minkowski product of two four vectors with ##\boldsymbol{x} \cdot \boldsymbol{y}## the metric (or better pseudometric!) tensor's components with respect to an arbitrary basis ##\boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}## are given by
$$g_{\mu \nu} = \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu} \cdot \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}.$$
A Lorentz transformation by definition is a linear transformation which leaves the Minkowski products between any two vectors invariant. So defining a new basis via a Lorentz transformation ##\boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}'=\Lambda \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}## implies
$$g_{\mu \nu}'= \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}' \cdot \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}' = (\Lambda \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu}) \cdot (\Lambda \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}) = \boldsymbol{b}_{\mu} \cdot \boldsymbol{b}_{\nu}=g_{\mu \nu},$$
i.e., if you change a basis by using Lorentz transformations, the components of the pseudometric don't change.

This is particularly true for pseudoorthonormal bases, for which
$$g_{\mu \nu}=\eta_{\mu \nu} =\mathrm{diag}(1,-1,-1,-1).$$

Thank you for the replies, so I was just confused by the fact I was considering a tautology.

PeterDonis said:
This would not be a deduction, it would be a tautology. "Not changing the spacetime interval" is the same thing as "leaving the metric tensor invariant".

I see what you mean here, but just for logical consistency: a (deducted) theorem T have the same truth value as the premise P used to prove the theorem. So the statement (P ^ T) is always a tautology. Tecnically, even if it was the case that there was a deduction involved, it would still be a tautology.

pedro_deoliveira said:
Tecnically, even if it was the case that there was a deduction involved, it would still be a tautology.

"Tautology" doesn't mean "has the same truth value". It means something stronger: it means "doesn't even need to be deduced because the two statements have exactly the same meaning and refer to exactly the same concept".

1. What is the concept of invariance of metric tensor?

The invariance of metric tensor refers to the property of a metric tensor to remain unchanged under certain transformations, such as coordinate transformations or rotations.

2. How is invariance of metric tensor related to the concept of spacetime?

The invariance of metric tensor is closely related to the concept of spacetime. The metric tensor measures the distance between two points in spacetime, and its invariance ensures that this measurement remains the same regardless of the frame of reference or coordinate system used.

3. Why is the invariance of metric tensor important in physics?

The invariance of metric tensor is important in physics because it allows us to accurately describe the laws of nature and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems. It ensures that the fundamental properties of space and time remain consistent across different frames of reference.

4. How does the invariance of metric tensor affect the concept of symmetry?

The invariance of metric tensor is closely linked to the concept of symmetry. Invariance under certain transformations, such as rotations or translations, is a defining characteristic of a symmetric system. The invariance of metric tensor ensures that the laws of physics remain the same in different reference frames, which is a fundamental symmetry in physics.

5. Can the invariance of metric tensor be violated?

In certain cases, the invariance of metric tensor can be violated. This can occur in systems with strong gravitational fields, where the curvature of spacetime can affect the measurement of distances. Additionally, in theories of gravity beyond Einstein's theory of general relativity, the invariance of metric tensor may not hold in certain situations.