1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invariant mass

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I'm working on this problem and I'd like to know how to find the invariant mass using just the lab-frame momentum and rest mass.

I've found a lot of equations that deal with E, and i'm not completely sure what that is either.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

pam

You have to tell us "this problem".

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    I have a proton with momentum = 1GeV hitting a neutron at rest, and I'd like to find the CM-momentum before collision.

Thanks

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    More work...

So here's what I have so far...

E* = (Ep* + En*),

where
    Ep* = Mp + Pe
    En* = Mn

Pe = momentum of electron in lab frame
    Ep* = energy of proton in CM frame
    En* = energy of neutron in CM frame
    Mn/Mp = mass of neutron/proton

Is E* = Invariant mass? If so, I've got this problem done.

7. Mar 5, 2008 #6
    As measured in an inertial frame of reference - If m0 = invariant mass of system, p = total momentum of system and E = total inertial energy of the system then

E^2 = m02c4+(pc)2. Simply solve for the invariant mass m0 of the system and you have you're answer.

Pete

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. Mar 5, 2008 #7
    Thanks for your response. I found that exact equation in many texts and I haven't a clue what the total inertial energy of the system is.

In my particular problem, would it be E = KE(proton) + Mass(proton) + Mass(neutron)?

9. Mar 6, 2008 #8
    The total inertial energy, E, of a particle is the sum of the particle's rest mass and its kinetic energy. The total energy, W, of a particle is the inertial energy + potential energy. That is to say that

E = K + E0

W = E + V

Best wishes

Pete

10. Mar 9, 2008 #9
    Thanks much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?