Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Invariant mass

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I'm working on this problem and I'd like to know how to find the invariant mass using just the lab-frame momentum and rest mass.

I've found a lot of equations that deal with E, and i'm not completely sure what that is either.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2

pam

You have to tell us "this problem".

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    I have a proton with momentum = 1GeV hitting a neutron at rest, and I'd like to find the CM-momentum before collision.

Thanks

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    More work...

So here's what I have so far...

E* = (Ep* + En*),

where
    Ep* = Mp + Pe
    En* = Mn

Pe = momentum of electron in lab frame
    Ep* = energy of proton in CM frame
    En* = energy of neutron in CM frame
    Mn/Mp = mass of neutron/proton

Is E* = Invariant mass? If so, I've got this problem done.

7. Mar 5, 2008 #6
    As measured in an inertial frame of reference - If m0 = invariant mass of system, p = total momentum of system and E = total inertial energy of the system then

E^2 = m02c4+(pc)2. Simply solve for the invariant mass m0 of the system and you have you're answer.

Pete

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. Mar 5, 2008 #7
    Thanks for your response. I found that exact equation in many texts and I haven't a clue what the total inertial energy of the system is.

In my particular problem, would it be E = KE(proton) + Mass(proton) + Mass(neutron)?

9. Mar 6, 2008 #8
    The total inertial energy, E, of a particle is the sum of the particle's rest mass and its kinetic energy. The total energy, W, of a particle is the inertial energy + potential energy. That is to say that

E = K + E0

W = E + V

Best wishes

Pete

10. Mar 9, 2008 #9
    Thanks much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook