1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invariant Subspace

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose T is a linear operator on a finite dimensional vector space V, such that every subspace of V with dimension dim V-1 is invariant under T. Prove that T is a scalar multiple of the identity operator.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking of starting by letting U and W be subspaces of V with dim U = dim W = dim V-1
    This means that U and W are invariant under T. Good start? Where do i go from there to show that T is a scalar multiple of the identity operator?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2
    Let n = dim V, v some element of V, <v> the 1-dim subspace generated by v.

Show that there are n-1 subspaces of dimension n-1 such that their intersection is <v>. Conclude that <v> is T-invariant.
    Now you can fix a basis [itex]\{e_i\}[/itex]. From what you have shown you know [itex]T e_i =\lambda_i e_i[/itex].

You want to show that all [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] are equal. For this, consider for example [itex]e_i+e_{i+1}[/itex]. Since T fixes evey one-dimensional subspace it has to act on this vector as scalar multiplication, [itex]T(e_i+e_{i+1})=\nu_i^{i+1}(e_i+e_{i+1})[/itex].By linearity you also know that [itex]T(e_i+e_{i+1})=\lambda_i e_i+\lambda_{i+1}e_{i+1}[/itex]. Using the linear independece of the chosen basis you can conclude [itex]\lambda_i=\nu_i^{i+1}=\lambda_{i+1}[/itex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?