What inventions can solve everyday problems?

• Thread starter Shay10825
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about the idea of a heated butter knife to solve the problem of using hard, refrigerated butter that tears up bread when spreading. The discussion touched on the challenges of creating such a product, including the need to heat the knife quickly without also heating the handle, as well as the marketability of the product. Some alternative solutions, such as using a microwave or holding the knife under hot water, were also mentioned. Ultimately, the conversation highlighted the fact that not all inventions make sense or actually work, but they can still be successful if they sell well.
oh good. I see that Gokul43201 replaced my Cadmium with Chromium.

Physics news on Phys.org
Humm... I think I'll just use soft margarine.

Yuk!

Did anyone look up paneity?
I've been waiting years to use that word! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:

:rofl: Now I did. I read that post too quickly the first time and just thought it was some sort of material science type terminology and skipped over it. :rofl: Yes, I can imagine that's a tough one to fit into conversation very often. Glad you finally got to use it.

Tsu...I agree with you about margerine :yuck: Okay for cooking some things, but no good on bread! Though, I did have butter with honey whipped into it once, and thought that was heavenly on bread, and very spreadable straight from the fridge.

Ivan Seeking said:

Ah ! From 'le pain' or whatever was it's root, I guess...

When I build this I will have the blade screw on the handle. Will I have the battery connected to the toaster wire that's connected to the conductor? If so then that means that the wire would have to go through the middle of the end of the blade (screw) to the handle with the battery. If this happens then I can't unscrew the blade. I don't know if this is how you would do this.

Shay, I think this a pretty difficult thing to do for a 10th Grader with little time.

I'll make it. :smile:

Does a hot curlier or one of those cup warmers have the same wire that the toaster has (the wire I need to make the blade heat)?

You can't just use any heater wire. It has to have the right resistivity and aspect ratio. You can buy nichrome wire online.

I suggest you start a thread in the Engineering section on design details for a knife warmer.

OK I will. Thanks :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:

Where in the world did you ever hear or read that word the first time?!?

Did you decide one weekend to go through the 'P's in the dictionary?

enigma said:
Where in the world did you ever hear or read that word the first time?!?

Did you decide one weekend to go through the 'P's in the dictionary?

Sounds like one of those Word A Day calendars is to blame. :rofl:

We used to hang out with a crowd that liked to play The Dictionary Game at get togethers.

We know how to party! :tongue2:

Really these obscure words can come in as handy as a good strigil.

You're a dork, Ivan. :tongue2:

I'm jealous...

Wouldn't it be simpler and make more sense to have a knife warmer that you could place any standard knife into and would be warmed? It could be a small cradle that you rest the knife blade in.

edit - Nevermind, I see where The Bob already suggested this.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
You can't just use any heater wire. It has to have the right resistivity and aspect ratio. You can buy nichrome wire online.

I suggest you start a thread in the Engineering section on design details for a knife warmer.

I was thinking of budget sensitivity. If money is an issue improvisation can be quite very helpful. I made my first robotic arm using the check valves from an old automotive fuel pump for flow control.

Shay10825 said:
OK I will. Thanks :smile:

Let us know how it works out. :smile: