Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inventor claims to have built device that can see through walls.

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1
    Perhaps you’ve heard of Troy Hurtubise. He’s the guy who built all those bear proof suits a while back in the hopes that he could one day survive a grizzly bear attack. He was also featured on the Canadian Discovery Channel a couple of times since then for his invention of a cheap and effect anti-fire paste and high strength armour. Well this time he claims that he has built a device that can see through walls. Here’s the article: http://www.baytoday.ca/content/news/details.asp?c=6657

What do you guys think? I’ve seen him in the Discovery Channel a few times, and while I think he’s kind of crazy and very eccentric, I must say that his inventions (the fire paste and armour) do have merit. I hope this is true.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've seen this guy's inventions also. I would like to see a demonstration.

4. Jan 18, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't hold my breath. This has all of the earmarks of a hoax: New laws of physics, a mysterious new device built without blueprints and seen in a dream, many quotes from un-named sources, multi-colored lights [always needed for a good hoax], the Hyde Effect [ :rolleyes: ], which provides the delay needed to sell the hoax. Even the name "Angel Light" sets off my fraud alarm. Perhaps the bear suit sales have run out and he was getting desperate.

5. Jan 18, 2005 #4
    weird that he can see through an entire wall, yet on his hand it only penetrates his skin so he can see his blood vessels...

6. Jan 18, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Besides, every homeowner in America already owns a device that lets them see through walls. :rofl:

7. Jan 18, 2005 #6
    This looks like very bogus to me, not to say that such a thing is impossible. Just a few things like: “I turned it on—that was well over a year ago—and it worked and it was really awesome.” "Really awesome," sweet dude. Also, why do they have a picture of the device, but not have a picture of it in action. He has had it working for, according to him, "well over a year", so why not a pic of it in action?

8. Jan 18, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm convinced.

While the picture doesn't show the entire machine, I believe that the big white tube is on wheels, and those things sticking out of the side are handles. Six medium/large men, one on each handle, a bit of sweat, then you might be able to see through the wall.

9. Jan 18, 2005 #8

russ_watters

So, its an overly complicated X-ray machine?

10. Jan 19, 2005 #9

SGT

You can see an object because the light reflected by this object reaches the sensitive cells of your retina.
    If the electromagnetic radiation produced by the device passes through walls, why is it reflected by objects behind the wall? And in order to see those objects, the EM radiation must have enough energy to traverse the wall again.

11. Jan 19, 2005 #10
    I was going to post a question on this device and dude
    but I see you guys have allready started a topic on it/him
    killing the fish and stoping cars are just nasty side effects???
    well it sounds fishie and dangerious too
    lets let the French have it they can't win a war anyway

12. Jan 19, 2005 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought this was going to be about windows. :rolleyes:

13. Jan 19, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Jan 19, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Does anyone else detect a hint of sarcasm? :rofl:

I don't know if he can see through walls with it, but it sounds like he's microwaving everything around with it (it was described as having a microwave unit in it, and the "Hyde effect" sounds more than a tad suspicious). Glad I'm not his neighbor!

15. Jan 19, 2005 #14

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Crap. I'm way behind times. I have not even seen a compelling demonstration of the grizzly proof suit. I assume it restricts freedom of movement. Then again, an attack by a sufficiently motivated grizzly would have a similar effect.

16. Jan 20, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do I detect a Japanese toon superhero complex?
    http://www.nfb.ca/grizzly/troy.html
    http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2001/12/11/bear_suit011211

I've seen a great demo where he gets hit by a truck, and also a large log suspended by ropes to act as a battering ram. The truck knocked him a good ten feet through the air and onto his heavily padded butt. There is no way around it, that hurt!!! :rofl:

Also, now I know why he went into the angel light business
    http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_470054.html

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  17. Jan 20, 2005 #16

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Thanks for the link, Ivan. My sides hurt, but probably not as bad as his:
    No doubt that would help.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  18. Jan 20, 2005 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't call the bear suit an invention.

It's common sense that a bear or any living thing on this planet can't break through a block of titanium.

Who in their right mind would walk around in that suit? Once you fall, you can NEVER get back up. You need a truck to lift you up.

This guy smokes crack and I know that for a fact. I'm Canadian, so I know what these kinds of Canadians do. ;)

19. Jan 20, 2005 #18

Evo

I saw a program where he was testing some of his inventions, (they didn't quite succeed) which is why I'd love to see him demonstrate this new device.

20. Jan 20, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They can't show him demonstrating it because it fries all the cameras when he turns it on! :rofl: I wonder what this guy's insurance rates are like?

21. Jan 20, 2005 #20
    I saw all of his inventions succeed... (Except the some early prototypes of the bear suit)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?