Inventor Creates Soundless Sound System

In summary, Elwood "Woody" Norris won the Lemelson-MIT Prize with his HyperSonic Sound system. The system uses focused sound to create a feeling like sound is coming from inside the listener's head.
Michael66
Fri Apr 22,11:30 AM ET Technology - AP

By TYPH TUCKER, Associated Press Writer

PORTLAND, Ore. - Elwood "Woody" Norris pointed a metal frequency emitter
at one of perhaps 30 people who had come to see his invention. The
emitter — an aluminum square — was hooked up by a wire to a CD player.
Norris switched on the CD player.

"There's no speaker, but when I point this pad at you, you will hear the
waterfall," said the 63-year-old Californian.

And one by one, each person in the audience did, and smiled widely.

Norris' HyperSonic Sound system has won him an award coveted by
inventors — the $500,000 annual Lemelson-MIT Prize. It works by sending a
focused beam of sound above the range of human hearing. When it lands on
you, it seems like sound is coming from inside your head. [continued]
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&e=2&u=/ap/hypersonic_sound [Broken]

AirScooter: http://www.airscooter.com
==============================================

Is this true or a hoax?

Thanks

Edit by Ivan. Welcome to PF Michael66. :smile:
Please post only brief quotes with a link as shown. We need to do this in order to avoid copyright violations.

Copyright © 2005 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

PF Posting Guidelines:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody can check it out for me?

I saw this about a year ago, and imho, 500K is not deserved

Last edited:
Great, just what I wanted, to be yelled at from across the room. Even while fleeing from the insanity on one of his ultra-lites, they could still point the sound "ray" at me and keep yelling!

This is real. I have heard on and off about this guy over the years. Pretty cool.
Last I heard the japanese bought his idea so they could use it to advertise with pop machines or something. You would only hear it when you stood in front of it.

Uses microwave interference to rapidly heat( vibrate ) the air in a localized region.

I like how whenever some new radical tech comes out, all the "scientist" on this website can never admit its possible, just because they do not understand it. This website suffers from the "We already know everything there is to know" syndrom. Most of these guys really need to spend less time on their computers, and more time in reality.

MrHayman said:
I like how whenever some new radical tech comes out, all the "scientist" on this website can never admit its possible, just because they do not understand it. This website suffers from the "We already know everything there is to know" syndrom. Most of these guys really need to spend less time on their computers, and more time in reality.

Do you have an example of this? I haven't had that experience here at all.

I am referring mostly to the fact there are many banned topics here.

I know there is a microwave version as well. I thought this was the guy using it.

MrHayman said:
I know there is a microwave version as well.

We need a credible source to support a claim like that.

To my knowledge, there is no way that your statement could be correct.

russ_watters said:
The closest thing to a microwave version would be radar based on the same concept (actually, the radar probably came first): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/SPY-1

That I can understand because it is all RF. However. Mr. Hayman seems to be saying that the microwaves are being used to create conditions that lead to destructive interference in sound waves.

I may be incorrect. But when I first read about this tech years ago he said it had something to do with microwaves. Maybe he was just referring to the phased array principle as it is used in rader. It was years ago I first heard about this. I am surprised it hasn't really made into the public field.

http://blog.ted.com/2009/01/woody_norris_on.php" [Broken]

Is this the same Woody Norris who gave a TED presentation, posted in Jan 2009 ?

I am pretty sure TED screens crackpots before allowing them to present their inventions, watch the video, 15 minutes or so and see what you think. I will tell you that he doesn't go into great technical detail in describing it, only examples and suggestions on practical applications for it. Woody does not have a college degree, and admits it in his presentation. I will leave it for you to assess.

Here is his TED http://www.ted.com/index.php/speakers/woody_norris.html" [Broken]

Rhody...

P.S.

This is general observation on my part, please don't take offense, I have been watching TED for over 3 years now and regularly return for breakthroughs and advances in science and technology. For instance, Lee Smolin, George Smoot, and other Nobel Prize winners have presented 20 minute or so talks here. IMHO, there are few better sites in the world for the public to get news on breaking science or technology NOT covered by mainstream media. TED was the springboard that launched Garrett Lisi and his E8 Theory in 2007 I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a bit of time to think about this, if Woody's invention is being sold and used in different applications doing precisely what he claims it does, doesn't this thread deserve relocation in say the General or Electrical Engineering Forums ?

Rhody...

Great idea, no science. I believe David Copperfield already pulled off this trick.

Imagine cheating on an exam by beaming answers across the room to be heard by one listener. Students are going to get better at cheating, but that's another story.

Do you think we'll still be talking about boxes sliding down frictionless inclines then?

It reminds me of whispering across a planetarium or other dome.

What is a soundless sound system?

A soundless sound system is a technology that allows for the transmission of sound without using traditional speakers. It uses ultrasonic waves to stimulate the auditory nerves in the listener's inner ear, creating the perception of sound without actually producing any audible noise.

How does a soundless sound system work?

A soundless sound system uses a combination of ultrasonic transmitters and receivers to create a sound wave that is inaudible to the human ear. The ultrasonic waves are directed towards the listener's head, where they are then converted into audible sound by the brain's auditory system.

What are the potential applications of a soundless sound system?

A soundless sound system has a wide range of potential applications, including in public spaces where traditional speakers may be disruptive, in virtual and augmented reality technology, and for individuals with hearing impairments who may benefit from a more direct transmission of sound to the inner ear.

What are the advantages of a soundless sound system?

A soundless sound system has several advantages over traditional sound systems, including its ability to create a more immersive and direct listening experience, its potential for use in noise-sensitive environments, and its potential for improved sound quality and clarity.

Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to a soundless sound system?

While a soundless sound system has many potential benefits, there are also some limitations to consider. These may include the potential for interference from other ultrasonic devices, the need for precise positioning of the listener, and the potential for discomfort or health concerns if the ultrasonic waves are not carefully regulated.

Back