Is the Inverse of f(x) a Function?

In summary, the inverse relation is a function because for any x value, there is only one y value that corresponds.
aisha
f(x)=5*the square root of (x+1) +2 x>=-1

determine if the inverse is a function.

I don't understand y are they telling me x>=-1? Also I know how to find the inverse but what do I do to each side of the equation to get rid of the square root? ^2? I got the inverse= [x^(2)-1]/25 I don't think this is right. How do u do this question? :confused: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
aisha said:
f(x)=5*the square root of (x+1) +2 x>=-1

determine if the inverse is a function.

I don't understand y are they telling me x>=-1? Also I know how to find the inverse but what do I do to each side of the equation to get rid of the square root? ^2? I got the inverse= [x^(2)-1]/25 I don't think this is right. How do u do this question? :confused: :cry:

[tex]f(x)=5\sqrt{x+1}+2, x>=-1[/tex]

The square root is only defined if the number in the root is >=0. Since x+1>=0, x>=-1.

To get rid of the square root, square both sides

To find the inverse:
[tex]y=5\sqrt{x+1}+2[/tex]
[tex]y-2=5\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]
[tex](y-2)^2=(5\sqrt{x+1})^2[/tex]
[tex](y-2)^2=25(x+1)[/tex]
[tex]x=\frac{(y-2)^2}{25}-1[/tex]
[tex]f^{-1}(x)=\frac{(x-2)^2}{25}-1[/tex]

learningphysics said:
[tex]f(x)=5\sqrt{x+1}+2, x>=-1[/tex]

The square root is only defined if the number in the root is >=0. Since x+1>=0, x>=-1.

To get rid of the square root, square both sides

To find the inverse:
[tex]y=5\sqrt{x+1}+2[/tex]
[tex]y-2=5\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]
[tex](y-2)^2=(5\sqrt{x+1})^2[/tex]
[tex](y-2)^2=25(x+1)[/tex]
[tex]x=\frac{(y-2)^2}{25}-1[/tex]
[tex]f^{-1}(x)=\frac{(x-2)^2}{25}-1[/tex]

THANKS SOOOO MUCH I GET IT TOTALLY

How do u find out if the inverse is a function?

A relation between a dependant and an independant variable is said to be a function if to each value taken by the independant variable, the dependant variable takes one and only one value.

There is a theorem that you can use that allows you to answer the question without even having to find the inverse: If a function has an interval for a domain and if it is strictly increasing, it has an inverse (i.e. the inverse is a function).

You are given the domain of your function: it is all numbers x such that [itex]x\geq -1[/itex]. That's an interval. It's the interval [itex][-1, +\infty[[/itex]. So all you need to do is show that the function is strictly increasing. That is to say, we must show that for any two distinct points of the domain, say [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] such that [itex]x_1 < x_2[/itex], the two corresponding images of these two points by the function f are such that [itex]f(x_1) < f(x_2)[/itex].

This is not hard to do. I'll do your problem as an exemple.

Consider [itex]x_1, x_2[/itex] two points of the domain such that [itex]x_1 < x_2[/itex]. This inequality implies that [itex]f(x_1) < f(x_2)[/itex] iff (if and only if, noted [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex])

[tex]5\sqrt{x_1+1}+2 < 5\sqrt{x_2+1}+2 \Leftrightarrow 5\sqrt{x_1+1} < 5\sqrt{x_2+1} \Leftrightarrow \sqrt{x_1+1} < \sqrt{x_2+1} \Leftrightarrow x_1+1 < x_2+1 \Leftrightarrow x_1 < x_2[/tex]

,which we have supposed to be true. Therefor our proposition according to which [itex]x_1 < x_2[/itex] implies [itex]f(x_1) < f(x_2)[/itex] is true. So our function is stricly increasing and according to the theorem, the inverse is a function.

Or, if you know calculus, you can show that a function is strictly increasing by showing that the derivative is positive everywhere on the domain.

A particular relation is a function, if for an element in the domain, there is only one element in the range. Or in other words, for a particular x value, you only get 1 y.

For example:
y=3x+1 is a function because when you plug in an x value, you only get 1 y.

On the other hand
[tex]y=\pm\sqrt{x}, where\ x\geq 0[/tex]

is not a function because, for a positive x you get 2 y values.

This is also called the vertical line test... If you plot your relation, and any vertical line you can draw intersects your plot at at most one point... then it's a function. If there's a vertical line you can draw that intersects your graph at two or more points then it's not a function.

The inverse relation in your problem is a function becuase you only get one y when you plug in an x value.

Hey guys thanks sooo much I understand now. :smile:

1. What is the definition of an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that "undoes" another operation. It is denoted as f^-1(x) and is the function that reverses the effect of f(x). In other words, if f(x) maps x to y, then f^-1(y) maps y back to x.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can follow the steps: 1) Replace f(x) with y; 2) Swap the places of x and y; 3) Solve for y; 4) Replace y with f^-1(x). This will give you the inverse function f^-1(x). It is important to note that not all functions have an inverse function, as some functions are not one-to-one.

3. Is the inverse of f(x) always a function?

No, the inverse of f(x) is not always a function. For the inverse of a function to be a function, the original function must be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output. If the original function is not one-to-one, then its inverse will not be a function.

4. Can a function have multiple inverses?

No, a function can only have one inverse. If a function has multiple inverses, then it is not a function. This is because for a function to be considered a function, each input must have a unique output, and multiple inverses would result in multiple outputs for a single input.

5. How do you verify if the inverse of a function is a function?

To verify if the inverse of a function is a function, you can use the horizontal line test. This test states that if a horizontal line intersects the graph of a function at more than one point, then the function does not have an inverse. If the horizontal line only intersects the graph at one point, then the function has an inverse.