Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inverse ahh

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1
    f(x)=5*the square root of (x+1) +2 x>=-1

determine if the inverse is a function.

I dont understand y are they telling me x>=-1? Also I know how to find the inverse but what do I do to each side of the equation to get rid of the square root? ^2? I got the inverse= [x^(2)-1]/25 I dont think this is right. How do u do this question??? :confused: :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2004 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

[tex]f(x)=5\sqrt{x+1}+2, x>=-1[/tex]

The square root is only defined if the number in the root is >=0. Since x+1>=0, x>=-1.

To get rid of the square root, square both sides

To find the inverse:
    [tex]y=5\sqrt{x+1}+2[/tex]
    [tex]y-2=5\sqrt{x+1}[/tex]
    [tex](y-2)^2=(5\sqrt{x+1})^2[/tex]
    [tex](y-2)^2=25(x+1)[/tex]
    [tex]x=\frac{(y-2)^2}{25}-1[/tex]
    [tex]f^{-1}(x)=\frac{(x-2)^2}{25}-1[/tex]

4. Dec 14, 2004 #3
    THANKS SOOOO MUCH I GET IT TOTALLY

5. Dec 15, 2004 #4
    How do u find out if the inverse is a function????

6. Dec 15, 2004 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A relation between a dependant and an independant variable is said to be a function if to each value taken by the independant variable, the dependant variable takes one and only one value.

There is a theorem that you can use that allows you to answer the question without even having to find the inverse: If a function has an interval for a domain and if it is strictly increasing, it has an inverse (i.e. the inverse is a function).

You are given the domain of your function: it is all numbers x such that [itex]x\geq -1[/itex]. That's an interval. It's the interval [itex][-1, +\infty[[/itex]. So all you need to do is show that the function is strictly increasing. That is to say, we must show that for any two distinct points of the domain, say [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] such that [itex]x_1 < x_2[/itex], the two corresponding images of these two points by the function f are such that [itex]f(x_1) < f(x_2)[/itex].

This is not hard to do. I'll do your problem as an exemple.

Consider [itex]x_1, x_2[/itex] two points of the domain such that [itex]x_1 < x_2[/itex]. This inequality implies that [itex]f(x_1) < f(x_2)[/itex] iff (if and only if, noted [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex])

[tex]5\sqrt{x_1+1}+2 < 5\sqrt{x_2+1}+2 \Leftrightarrow 5\sqrt{x_1+1} < 5\sqrt{x_2+1} \Leftrightarrow \sqrt{x_1+1} < \sqrt{x_2+1} \Leftrightarrow x_1+1 < x_2+1 \Leftrightarrow x_1 < x_2[/tex]

,which we have supposed to be true. Therefor our proposition according to which [itex]x_1 < x_2[/itex] implies [itex]f(x_1) < f(x_2)[/itex] is true. So our function is stricly increasing and according to the theorem, the inverse is a function.

Or, if you know calculus, you can show that a function is strictly increasing by showing that the derivative is positive everywhere on the domain.

7. Dec 15, 2004 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

A particular relation is a function, if for an element in the domain, there is only one element in the range. Or in other words, for a particular x value, you only get 1 y.

For example:
    y=3x+1 is a function because when you plug in an x value, you only get 1 y.

On the other hand
    [tex]y=\pm\sqrt{x}, where\ x\geq 0[/tex]

is not a function because, for a positive x you get 2 y values.

This is also called the vertical line test... If you plot your relation, and any vertical line you can draw intersects your plot at at most one point... then it's a function. If there's a vertical line you can draw that intersects your graph at two or more points then it's not a function.

The inverse relation in your problem is a function becuase you only get one y when you plug in an x value.

8. Dec 17, 2004 #7
    Hey guys thanks sooo much I understand now. :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook