Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse calculator

1. Sep 21, 2006 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm looking for a particular tool I once came across. It took a decimal number as input and tried to give some calculation which would return that number as the result. I'm familiar with Plouffe's Inverter and its old form, the Inverse Symbolic Calculator, but neither of these is the tool I'm looking for. These tools are essentially lookups on large tables; the one I remember was a program that found increasingly-complex representations of the number that more closely aproximated it. Plouffe's tools are online; this one was downloadable (a console application, with source code I think). The documentation, such as it was, mentioned the ISC and explained how the two were different.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Failing that, does anyone know of something similar?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maple's gfun is similar, but doesn't quite fit the description.

4. Nov 17, 2006 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I finally found it, so I thought I'd mention it here in case someone else wanted to use it. It's RIES, by Robert Munafo:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~mrob/pub/ries/index.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?