What is the maximum recoil energy of photons in Inverse Compton Scattering?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the maximum recoil energy of photons generated through inverse Compton scattering. The initial energy of the photons was given to be 1 eV and the electrons in the beam had an energy of 50 MeV. The person asking for help had attempted to solve the question using diagrams but was struggling with calculating the maximum value of the final photon energy. They then shared a helpful page on inverse Compton scattering and derived equations to solve the problem. They eventually figured out the solution, apologizing for any inconvenience caused.
Matt atkinson
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hello all, I'm just doing some practice for an upcoming exam and came upon this question in my notes:

One experimental way to generate very high energy photons is to ”collide” a laser beam against an electron beam, the photons that recoil in the direction parallel to the electron beam will have large energy. This is called ”Inverse Compton scattering”. Calculate the maximum recoil energy of the photons, assuming the initial energy of the photons is 1 eV and the electrons in the beam have energy E = 50 MeV.

Now I'm really stuck at how I should approach the question just drawing diagram wise...
i've had a few attempts where I set the electron and photon to move against each other on the x direction and then afterwards the photon recoils back 180 degrees from its intial momentum. But i just can't get a reasonable answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
So what answers have you got? Please show your working. The Latex primer linked below the reply box may be of interest.

Sorry i'll do that now!
its more the issue of angles I'm struggling with for the maximum value.

I found a helpful page on the inverse compton scattering which led me to derive the following equations (electron rest frame is the primed variables):
The energy of the final photon in the rest frame of the electron.
##
E'_{\gamma_f}=\frac{E'_{\gamma_i}}{1+\frac{E^,_{\gamma_i}}{m_ec^2}(1-cos(\theta'))}\\
E^,_{\gamma_i}=E_{\gamma_i}\gamma(1-\beta cos(\theta')
##
I then used the relativistic dopper shift formula back to the lab frame:
##
E_{\gamma_f}=E'_{\gamma_f}\gamma(1+\beta cos(\phi))\\
##
where i understand that I've been given ##\gamma## from the electron energy, and from that i can work out ##\beta## but I am just struggling with what angles to use for maximum value of ##E_{\gamma_f}##.

Last edited:
I've actually just figured it out I am very sorry!

1. What is Inverse Compton Scattering?

Inverse Compton Scattering is a process in which a high energy photon (typically an X-ray or gamma-ray) collides with a low energy electron, transferring a portion of its energy to the electron and increasing its energy level. The scattered photon then has a higher energy and shorter wavelength, while the electron loses energy and changes direction.

2. How is Inverse Compton Scattering different from regular Compton Scattering?

The main difference between Inverse Compton Scattering and regular Compton Scattering is the direction of energy transfer. In Inverse Compton Scattering, the photon loses energy and the electron gains energy, while in regular Compton Scattering, the photon gains energy and the electron loses energy.

3. What are the applications of Inverse Compton Scattering?

Inverse Compton Scattering has many applications in astrophysics and particle physics. It is used to study high-energy processes in energetic objects such as pulsars, active galactic nuclei, and supernova remnants. It is also used in particle accelerators to produce high energy photons for research and medical imaging.

4. How does the energy of the scattered photon compare to the energy of the original photon?

The energy of the scattered photon depends on the energy of the original photon and the energy of the electron it collides with. In general, the scattered photon will have a higher energy and shorter wavelength than the original photon, but the exact amount of energy transfer can vary.

5. What is the role of Inverse Compton Scattering in the cosmic microwave background radiation?

Inverse Compton Scattering plays a key role in the production of the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMB), which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. As high energy electrons in the early universe interacted with the CMB photons, they scattered them to higher energies, resulting in the CMB we observe today.