What is the process of switching signs in an equation called?

• Thread starter cowah22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary: That is is not a "law" of arithmetic but a consequence of the laws of addition. The same is true for multiplication: "division" is defined as "multiplying by the multiplicative inverse". To your calculator, 2x means (1)(2)x= 2x. 2/2= (2)(1/2) so your calculator "knows" that 1/2 is the multiplicative inverse of 2. Again, just a consequence of the definition of "multiplicative inverse", not a law of arithmetic. But your question was "why". I don't know what you mean by "why". Those are the rules! Your calculator can't change the
cowah22
Hello,
I have a quick question for you guys.

What is it called when you switch the signs of the equation to their opposite?

For example, does 10 + 6 = 16 invert to 10 - 6 = 4 Is this additive inverse?

Or, does 14 x 7 = 98 invert to 14 / 7 = 2 Multiplicative inverse?

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
in short yes

if x*y=1 x is the multiplicatie inverse of y (also y is the multiplicatie inverse of x)
if x+y=0 x is the additive inverse of y (also y is the additive inverse of x)

Those are the nice names
bad people disrespect these numbers by calling them insults like opposite and reciprical

cowah22 said:
Hello,
I have a quick question for you guys.

What is it called when you switch the signs of the equation to their opposite?

For example, does 10 + 6 = 16 invert to 10 - 6 = 4

Or, does 14 x 7 = 98 invert to 14 / 7 = 2

wow
no
10 + 6 = 16
becomes
-10 +(-6) = -16

14 x 7 = 98
becomes
(1/14)*(1/7)=1/98

but what you likely want is
10 + 6 = 16
so
10=16-6 or 6=16-19
and
14 x 7 = 98
so
7=98/14 or 14=98/7

This is often used with variables like
10+x=16
so
x=16-10
x=6

14 y = 98
so
y=98/14
y=7

lurflurf said:
wow
no
10 + 6 = 16
becomes
-10 +(-6) = -16

14 x 7 = 98
becomes
(1/14)*(1/7)=1/98

So, when you invert a regular equation. x + y = z the answer will always be -z

But when you invert a multiplication/division equation x * y = z the answer will always the the reciprical of z.

What is it called when you switch - to / and + to * ?

Oh, silly me, I thought this was about inverse functions. I should pay more attention.

cowah22 said:
So, when you invert a regular equation. x + y = z the answer will always be -z

But when you invert a multiplication/division equation x * y = z the answer will always the the reciprical of z.

What is it called when you switch - to / and + to * ?
Perhaps it would help if you explained what in the world you are talking about! You started talking about "inverting" equations, now you are talking about inverting operations.

Yes, the "inverse" or "opposite" of addition is subtraction and the "inverse" of multiplication is division. Those apply only to specific operations, not to entire equations. I have no idea what you mean by "invert a regular equation".

If I wanted to solve x+ y= z for x, then I do the "inverse" of "add y" (since in the equation y is added to x) which is "subtract y". Subtracting y from both sides (whatever you do to one side of an equation you must do to the other) and get x+ y- y= z- y or x= z- y.

HallsofIvy, I'm curious more about inverting operations, and why:

+1 - +1 = 0 and -1 + -1 = -2 on my calculators.

Well good- then your calculator is working properly! "Subtraction" is technically defined as "adding the additive inverse". To your calculator (1)- (1) means 1+ (-1) which is, by definition of "additive inverse", 0. -1+ (-1) means you are adding two additive inverses, Since (1)+ (1)= 0, and addition satisfies both the "associative" and "commutative" laws,
(1+ 1)+ ((-1)+ (-1))= (1+ (-1))+ (1+ (-1))= 0+ 0= 0. That means that ((-1)+ (-1)) is the additive inverse of 1+ 1= 2. That is, (-1)+ (-1)= -2.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an inverse equation?

An inverse equation is a mathematical relationship where the input and output values are reversed. This means that if the original equation takes an input and produces an output, the inverse equation takes the output and produces the original input.

How do you find the inverse of an equation?

To find the inverse of an equation, you need to switch the input and output variables and solve for the new output variable. This can be done algebraically by using inverse operations or graphically by reflecting the original equation over the line y=x.

Why are inverse equations important?

Inverse equations are important because they allow us to solve for unknown values in a mathematical relationship. They also help us understand the behavior of a system and how changing one variable affects another.

What are some real-life examples of inverse equations?

Real-life examples of inverse equations include distance and time (speed = distance / time), temperature and pressure (Boyle's law), and supply and demand (price = demand / supply). In all of these examples, the input and output values are inversely related.

How do you know if two equations are inverses of each other?

If two equations are inverses of each other, they will undo each other's operations. This means that when you plug the output of one equation into the other equation, you will get back the original input value. Another way to check is by graphing the equations and seeing if they are symmetric about the line y=x.