Why is There No Inverse Factorial Function?

In summary, the factorial function is not one-to-one due to 0! and 1! both equaling 1. Restricting the domain to values of x greater than or equal to 1 is not a solution. While there is no inverse factorial function, there is an inverse of the Gamma function which extends factorial beyond whole numbers. The definition of 0! = 1 is based on the intuitive principle that there is only one way to order zero objects.
PFuser1232
Why exactly is there no such thing as an inverse factorial function? Now I am fully aware of the fact that the factorial function (##f(x) = x!##) is not one-to-one, since both 0! and 1! equal 1. But can't we circumvent this by restricting the domain of f such that it only includes values of x greater than or equal to 1?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
There's some interesting reasoning behind the 0! = 1 definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factorial

Notice the comment there is exactly 1 way to order zero objects hence the 0!=1 instead of thinking that anything times 0 is 0.
That comment is ridiculous . There are good reasons why 0!=1 per definition.

MohammedRady97 said:
Why exactly is there no such thing as an inverse factorial function? Now I am fully aware of the fact that the factorial function (##f(x) = x!##) is not one-to-one, since both 0! and 1! equal 1. But can't we circumvent this by restricting the domain of f such that it only includes values of x greater than or equal to 1?

What makes you think there isn't an inverse factorial function?

This does not pertain to my question.

PeroK said:
What makes you think there isn't an inverse factorial function?

Is there?

MohammedRady97 said:
Is there?

The existence of a function is not dependent on its being given a name or on being useful.

PeroK said:
The existence of a function is not dependent on its being given a name or on being useful.
You're right.
But what I meant was, is there a way to define such a function algebraically?

MohammedRady97 said:
You're right.
But what I meant was, is there a way to define such a function algebraically?

Here's a paper on the subject (inverse of the Gamma function, which extends factorial beyond the whole numbers).

http://www.ams.org/journals/proc/2012-140-04/S0002-9939-2011-11023-2/S0002-9939-2011-11023-2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PFuser1232
I love this thread! Finding an easy inverse factorial function was an obsession of mine a couple years ago. And I have Asperger's and OCD, so that isn't good. I failed. Miserably. Logarithms of polynomials inside other logarithms...etc. It was a mess and a waste of time.

By the way, 0! = 1 for the simple reason that (n-1)! is found by dividing n! by n. And since 1! = 1, just divide 1 by 1 and you get 1.

I'm not sure if I understand the intuitive principle that there is only one way to order zero objects. How many ways can you order a complex object?

PeroK said:
Here's a paper on the subject (inverse of the Gamma function, which extends factorial beyond the whole numbers).

http://www.ams.org/journals/proc/2012-140-04/S0002-9939-2011-11023-2/S0002-9939-2011-11023-2.pdf

I must input a username and password combination before gaining access to the pdf file.

Last edited by a moderator:
David Carroll said:
I'm not sure if I understand the intuitive principle that there is only one way to order zero objects. How many ways can you order a complex object?

Intuitively, one "orders" a set of objects by assigning them a sequence from first to last. This works for any finite number of objects which is all we need here. (The full formal definition of a "total order" on a set of objects is somewhat more general and removes the need for a first or last object).

Intuitively, the number of ways to "order" a set of objects is simply the number of different possible sequences of that set of objects.

Wrapping an intuition around the notion of an empty sequence is much like wrapping an intuition around the notion of an empty set. There is only one empty sequence. It has no elements and is identical to every other sequence with no elements.

Ahhh, I see. Thank you.

1. What is inverse factorial and why is it important?

Inverse factorial is the mathematical operation that finds the number that, when factorial is applied to it, gives a specified number. It is important in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and physics.

2. How is inverse factorial calculated?

The inverse factorial of a number is calculated by using the gamma function, which is a generalization of the factorial function. It can also be calculated using logarithms or by finding the closest approximation using numerical methods.

3. Can any number have an inverse factorial?

Not all numbers have a defined inverse factorial. Only positive integers and some real numbers have a meaningful inverse factorial. For example, the inverse factorial of 6 is 3, but the inverse factorial of 1.5 is not a meaningful number.

4. What are the practical applications of inverse factorial?

Inverse factorial has many practical applications. In computer science, it is used in algorithms for finding the solutions to certain problems. In statistics, it is used in probability calculations and in fitting curves to data. In physics, it is used in calculations related to quantum mechanics.

5. Why is the concept of inverse factorial confusing for some people?

The concept of inverse factorial can be confusing because it is not a commonly used operation and it is counterintuitive. It involves finding the number that leads to a given result, rather than finding the result of a given number. It also requires a good understanding of factorials and their properties.