1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse fifth Law

1. May 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A charged particle of mass m moves non-relativistically around a circular orbit. The potential energy is U(r)= -A/r^4.

What is the sign of A and why?
    Using Bohr's quantization for angular momentum to calculate the allowed values of the radius.

2. Relevant equations

F=-dV/dx
    F=mv^2/r
    mvr=nh/2*Pi

3. The attempt at a solution

Intuitively, I thought that A is positive, cause classically you consider that at infinity, the potential is zero. However, when I determined the radius of orbits, it turns out that r^2 is negative, and you cannot square root it!

mv^2/r=-4*A/r^5 (Centripetal force to -dV/dx)

Sub it v=nh/2*PI*m*r

and r^2 = -4*m*A/n^2*H^2 where H=h/2*PI

Could I ignore the negative sign here???

Thanks

Regards,
    The Keck

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2007 #2
    Hello,

This seems some standard homework or exercise.
    In your first equation:

mv^2/r=-4*A/r^5 (Centripetal force to -dV/dx)

You have a mistake in the sign of the right hand side when differentiating.

Best regards

4. May 22, 2007 #3
    No, I'm pretty sure I didn't make a mistake.

dV/dx= (-4 x -A)/r^5 = (4xA)/(r^5)

-dV/dx = F(x) = -4A/(r^5)

Regards,
    The Keck

5. May 22, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The signs are just fine. The problem is how to interpret them. The acceleration v^2/r is always pointed toward the center. When you are talking about the force of the potential, the positive r direction is usually outward toward larger r. So the negative sign on the force just means that it's directed inward also. The are both pointed in the same direction (for A positive). Just drop the superfluous sign.

6. May 22, 2007 #5
    Thanks, I understand what you mean now, it's just I didn't really think about it using that reasoning

Regards,
    The Keck

7. May 22, 2007 #6
    Sorry, i did not expain very detail. I mean that:

[tex]\vec{F}=-\hat{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}U(r)=\frac{4A}{r^5}(-\hat{r})[/tex]

The acceleration in 2-D polar coordinate
    [tex]\vec{a}=(\ddot{r}-\dot{\theta}^2r)\hat{r}+(r\ddot{\theta}+2\dot{r}\omega)\hat{\theta}[/tex]
    The central acceleration in the case is [tex]\vec{a}=(-\dot{\theta}^2r)\hat{r}[/tex] only, where [tex]\dot{\theta} = \text{angular speed respect ro the origin} = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

Therefore,
    [tex]\frac{4A}{r^5}(-\hat{r})=m(-\frac{v^2}{r})\hat{r}\quad\Rightarrow\quad\frac{4A}{r^5}=m\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

However, Dick expained very well already.

Best regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?