Inverse Fourier Transform Of K-space Image…what is the object space sc

In summary: Not sure if this is a homework problem.Hmmmm, not so much. I have read quite a bit of literature but I am really perplexed because the ccd imaging the Fourier plane has a spatial dimension aspect; the pixel size.Also the frequency domain should span an infinite plane.I am just pretty confused. :(Vollmerhausen and Driggers' excellent book "Analysis of Sampled Imaging Systems" may be of help to you.
jasonpatel
Checked around a buch and could not find any help. But I needed help with:

Understanding that if I get the Inverse FT of K-space data, what is the scaling on the X-space (object space) resultant image/data i.e. for every tick on the axis, how do I know the spatial length?

More detailed explanation is attached as a image.

Attachments

• help.png
    help.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 558
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Not sure if this is a homework problem.

The Fourier transform pair x and ζ are related as k/z(xζ) where k is the wavevector and z the distance from source to detector; does this help?

Likes 1 person
Wait where the relation? The equals sign?

It does help though! Can you direct me to where I can find that relation?

Or where I can find a explanation for it. Its not a homework problem (i just made the pdf to make things easier rather than try to explain everything in words); it is part of some side research and I have very little experience with Fourier transforms and even less experience with experimental aspects of it.

Hmmmm, not so much. I have read quite a bit of literature but I am really perplexed because the ccd imaging the Fourier plane has a spatial dimension aspect; the pixel size.

Also the frequency domain should span an infinite plane.

I am just pretty confused. :/

Last edited:
Vollmerhausen and Driggers' excellent book "Analysis of Sampled Imaging Systems" may be of help to you. Sampled systems can be quite complex, since they are not linear shift-invariant systems.

While the pixel size is indeed finite, the usual interpretation is that the pixel size (say, dx) corresponds to a resolution limit in k-space (dk) and that sampling the signal can be treated as point-wise events, which is the reason for terms like x/N in DFT equations. Windowing k-space should not cause a conceptual problem.

Ok, so firstly thanks so much for your help...I will def look into that book because this is something that seems simple but has been giving me some trouble.

Secondly I have wrote down the solution (ATTACHED PDF) that one of the guys in my group gave me. But to be honest I don't understand the very first relation (in step one).

I specifically don't understand how the width of the peak in pixels fits in? Any guidance?

and again THANKS!

Attachments

• help.pdf
    314.2 KB · Views: 289
jasonpatel said:
Understanding that if I get the Inverse FT of K-space data, what is the scaling on the X-space (object space) resultant image/data i.e. for every tick on the axis, how do I know the spatial length?
K-space and image space are related as follows:
BW = N Δk
FOV = N Δx
BW = 1/Δx
FOV = 1/Δk

Where N is the number of samples, Δx is the spatial tick size (i.e. spatial resolution), Δk is the k-space tick size, FOV is the total extent of the spatial image (i.e. field of view), and BW is the total extent of the k-space image (i.e. "bandwidth", but spatial frequency rather than temporal frequency).

1. What is the purpose of the inverse Fourier transform in k-space image?

The inverse Fourier transform in k-space image is used to convert a complex-valued image in frequency space (k-space) into a real-valued image in object space. This allows for the visualization of spatial patterns and structures in the original image.

2. How does the inverse Fourier transform work?

The inverse Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that uses a mathematical formula to convert the complex-valued image in k-space back into a real-valued image in object space. This is achieved by reversing the process of the Fourier transform, which converts a real-valued image in object space into a complex-valued image in k-space.

3. What is k-space in imaging?

K-space is a mathematical representation of the spatial frequency domain in imaging. It is used to describe the frequency components of an image, where low frequencies are represented by the center of k-space and high frequencies are represented by the edges of k-space.

4. How does the inverse Fourier transform affect image quality?

The inverse Fourier transform can greatly improve the quality of an image by removing high-frequency noise and artifacts that may be present in the k-space image. This results in a clearer and more accurate representation of the original image in object space.

5. Can the inverse Fourier transform be applied to any type of image?

Yes, the inverse Fourier transform can be applied to any type of image, as long as it has been previously transformed into k-space using the Fourier transform. This includes images from various imaging techniques such as MRI, CT, and ultrasound.