1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse fourier transform

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    calculate the inverse fourier transform of [tex]\left( a^2 + \left( bk \right)^2 \right)^{-1}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that [tex]FT[e^{-|x|)}](k) = ( \pi (k^2 + 1 ) )^{-1}[/tex]. I've tried to to concatenate the shift FT or the strech FT, but the "+1" in the known FT is in the way.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

I can't quite read what you're writing here. The FT you've quoted is supposed to be [tex]F[e^{-\alpha|x|}] = \frac{2\alpha}{\alpha^2+ \omega^2}[/tex], correct?

Are a and b supposed to be arbitrary constants? If so, then I take [itex]k=\omega[/itex]. You must then express the question in terms of the result above.

Note that [tex]\frac{1}{a^2 + b^2 \omega^2} = \frac{1}{b^2} \ \frac{1}{\frac{a^2}{b^2} + \omega^2}[/tex].

A factor of 2 is still required. Can you see it now?

4. Jun 4, 2008 #3
    thanks for answering. You helped me "getting it" :)

I think our normalization factors are different. I know that [tex]F[e^{-|x|}]=\frac{1}{\pi (\omega^2 +1)}[/tex], so if a,b>0 (i assume it, since it's the only way to get to the following result) i can write [tex]F[e^{-\frac{a}{b} |x|}]=\frac{b}{a} \hat{f}(\frac{\omega b}{a}) = \frac{a b e^{i \omega \frac{b}{a}}{\pi (\omega^2 b^2 + a^2)}[/tex]

i'm using [tex]F[f(x)]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) e^{-i\omega x} dx[/tex]

thanks.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?