1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse func Limits

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate
    [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \ \frac{sin(tanx)-tan(sinx)}{sin^{-1}(tan^{-1}x)-tan^{-1}(sin^{-1}x)} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea about evaluating inverse function limits.(denominator)
    I tried L^Hopital's rule but it the derivatives still remain in 0/0 form
    Thx for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

how many times have you tried the rule?

4. Apr 17, 2007 #3
    I applied L^Hopital's once.

BTW, by [itex]\ tan^{-1}x \ [/itex] I mean [itex] \ \ arctanx , not \frac{1}{tanx} [/itex]

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yup I know what you meant with the arctan thing.

Try using l'hopitals rule again.

6. Apr 17, 2007 #5
    Here's what i have,

[tex] D^r \ = \ sin^{-1}(tan^{-1}x)-tan^{-1}(sin^{-1}x) [/tex]

[tex]D^r'\ = \ \frac{1}{ \sqrt{1-tan^{-1}x}}. \frac{1}{1+x^2} - \frac{1}{(1+sin^{-1}x)^2}. \frac {1}{ \sqrt {1-x^2} } [/tex]

Now i use this- :
    As [itex] \ x \ \rightarrow 0 , tan^{-1}x \ \rightarrow 0 [/itex]
    As [itex] \ x \ \rightarrow 0 , sin^{-1}x \ \rightarrow 0 [/itex]

So, my denominator goes 0. :frown:
    Taking another derivative would be nasty

7. Apr 17, 2007 #6
    Whoa...i just got an idea.
    Could i try replacing [itex] \ sin^{-1}x [/itex] by [itex] \ tanx [/itex] and so on as all tend to 0 with x tending to 0 ?

8. Apr 17, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It doesn't follow that [itex]sin^{-1} x[/itex] and [itex] tan x[/itex] tend to 0 at the same rate and that is the crucial thing.

9. Apr 17, 2007 #8

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You didn't differentiate properly.

The derivative for the bottom should be
    [tex]\frac{1}{1+x^2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(\tan^{-1}x)^2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} \frac{1}{1+(\sin^{-1}x)^2}[/tex].

Either way, the denominator still goes to zero. Sure its nasty, but just do it. If you really can't be bothered, type it into here: www.calc101.com. It'll find the derivative for you, but entering it is just as much of a hassle as find the derivative yourself.

10. Apr 18, 2007 #9
    Just forgot to put the square...thx for bringing it into notice.
    I havent seen limits with inverse trig functions in them . And now i cant even try substitutions as Halls said . If any1 figures a way out, do hint it here :biggrin:

11. Apr 18, 2007 #10

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I already told you! Use L'hopitals again! It wont be pretty but bad luck.

12. Apr 22, 2007 #11
    Finally found the solution -:
    LINK

13. Apr 22, 2007 #12

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Thats quite a nice solution. Really he just truncated the taylor series and computed it that way, so its not such a new method, but none of us thought of that so good work.

14. Apr 22, 2007 #13

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L'Hopital is trucating Taylor series.

15. Apr 22, 2007 #14

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Could you provide more info on that, I dont quite follow...In the link the solver truncated after 4 terms, so lhopital wud work after 4 tries?

16. Apr 22, 2007 #15

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x tends to zero (say). Take the Taylor series of each about 0. You can read off the limit. That is what L'Hopital's rule is: looking at the leading coeffecients of Taylor series. What else do you think you're doing when differentiating and plugging in other than finding the coefficients of a Taylor series?

17. Apr 22, 2007 #16
    [​IMG]
    I dont understand whats o(x^7) mean ? Could some1 explain

18. Apr 22, 2007 #17

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Its sort of an error term. Really the series for sin and tan have an infinite number of terms, but he just just terms up to x^7, then o(x^7), or terms less important that x^7. When he says less important than, he means the error is less than. So if x is 1, the approximation we got from the first 4 can not be more than 1 off. This is what I THINK, learning from Hurkyl's posts in my thread in Calc (Not HW section).

Thanks Matt for the reply, i understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?