What is the inverse of this tricky function?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the inverse of a function and the difficulty in determining it. The original equation was provided and it was mentioned that the function is invertible but cannot be written in terms of elementary functions. The suggestion was made to reflect the graph of the existing function over the line y = x to generate the graph of the inverse function, and it was noted that the derivative of the inverse function can be found through a Taylor series. However, it was also mentioned that the inverse function may not be possible to write in a closed form due to the involvement of transcendental functions.
BilgeRat
Greetings all. I was solicited by a friend to find the inverse of a particular function, and I can't for the life of me determine/remember how.

The original equation is
y = 3+x^2+tan((1/2)*Pi*x)
with x on (-1,1).

The function is invertible - f' is always > 0 on that interval - but I have had no success attempting to determine precisely what the inverse is.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
The graph of the inverse function is easy to generate: reflect the graph of the existing function over the line y = x. You can also easily find the derivative of the inverse function and thus a Taylor series for the inverse function.
However, it is not necessarily possible to write the inverse function of a function in terms of a finite combination of elementary functions, especially when transcendental functions are involved (ie., trigonometric, exponential and logarithm functions).

slider142 said:
The graph of the inverse function is easy to generate: reflect the graph of the existing function over the line y = x. You can also easily find the derivative of the inverse function and thus a Taylor series for the inverse function.
However, it is not necessarily possible to write the inverse function of a function in terms of a finite combination of elementary functions, especially when transcendental functions are involved (ie., trigonometric, exponential and logarithm functions).

I thought this as well - obtaining the graph of the inverse function would seem to be more within the scope of a first-week Pre-Calculus course - but it seems that the function itself is what is required.

I am sorry to say that short of some serious Taylor series wrangling, the function you are looking for is not elementary and cannot be found in closed form.

--Elucidus

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that reverses the effect of another function. In other words, it takes the output of a function and returns the input that produced that output.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, swap the x and y variables and solve for y. This will give you the inverse function in the form of y = f^-1(x). In some cases, it may be necessary to restrict the domain of the original function in order to have a valid inverse function.

3. What is the notation used for inverse functions?

The notation for an inverse function is f^-1(x), where f represents the original function and x represents the input variable.

4. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. In order for a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, which means that no horizontal line can intersect the graph of the function more than once.

5. How are inverse functions useful?

Inverse functions are useful in solving equations and finding solutions to problems in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. They also have practical applications in computer science and cryptography.