1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse function question

1. Sep 7, 2009 #1
    Greetings all. I was solicited by a friend to find the inverse of a particular function, and I can't for the life of me determine/remember how.

The original equation is
    y = 3+x^2+tan((1/2)*Pi*x)
    with x on (-1,1).

The function is invertible - f' is always > 0 on that interval - but I have had no success attempting to determine precisely what the inverse is.

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2009 #2
    The graph of the inverse function is easy to generate: reflect the graph of the existing function over the line y = x. You can also easily find the derivative of the inverse function and thus a Taylor series for the inverse function.
    However, it is not necessarily possible to write the inverse function of a function in terms of a finite combination of elementary functions, especially when transcendental functions are involved (ie., trigonometric, exponential and logarithm functions).

4. Sep 7, 2009 #3
    I thought this as well - obtaining the graph of the inverse function would seem to be more within the scope of a first-week Pre-Calculus course - but it seems that the function itself is what is required.

5. Sep 7, 2009 #4
    I am sorry to say that short of some serious Taylor series wrangling, the function you are looking for is not elementary and cannot be found in closed form.

--Elucidus

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook