Solving for Theta, Phi, and Rho in R^3 using the Inverse Function Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the points in R^3 where theta, phi, and rho can be solved in terms of x,y and z. The speaker mentions using the determinant and finding when it equals zero, but is getting an incorrect solution. They have checked their work multiple times and are wondering if they are doing something wrong. The other person suggests going through it carefully.
Haftred
I'm trying to see near which points of R^3 I can solve for theta, phi, and rho in terms of x,y, and z. I know i need to find the determinant and see when it equals zero; however, I get the determinant to equal zero when sin(phi) = 0, and when tan(theta) = -cot(phi). The first is right, but I've checked my work many times and keep getting the last solution. I just calculated the determinant of the partial derivatives (dx/dtheta, dx / dphi, dx / drho...dy/dtheta, dy/dphi, dy/drho...dz/dtheta, dz/dphi, dz/drho). I've checked my work many times. Am I correct, or am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't look right. What is the equation you got for the determinant?

p = rho
a = phi
b = theta

p^2[cos(a)sin(a)(cosb)^3 + (sina)^2(sinb)^3 + cos(b)cos(a)sin(a)(sinb)^2 + sin(b)(sina)^2(sinb)^2].

I differentiated with respect to rho in the first column, phi in the second column, and theta in the third.

Thanks.

I get something different. All I can suggest is go back through it carefully.

thanks statusx for your time..i appreciate it

What is the Inverse Function Theorem?

The Inverse Function Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for a continuously differentiable function, if the derivative at a point is nonzero, then the function is invertible in a neighborhood of that point.

How does the Inverse Function Theorem work?

The Inverse Function Theorem works by utilizing the derivative of a function to determine if it is invertible. If the derivative is nonzero at a point, then the function is locally one-to-one and thus has an inverse in a small neighborhood around that point.

What is the significance of the Inverse Function Theorem?

The Inverse Function Theorem is significant because it provides a method for determining if a function is invertible and also gives a way to find the inverse function. This is useful in many applications, such as optimization problems and differential equations.

What are the conditions for the Inverse Function Theorem to hold?

The conditions for the Inverse Function Theorem to hold are that the function must be continuously differentiable, the derivative at a point must be nonzero, and the function must be defined on a connected set.

What is the difference between the Inverse Function Theorem and the Implicit Function Theorem?

While both the Inverse Function Theorem and the Implicit Function Theorem deal with differentiability and invertibility of functions, the main difference is that the Inverse Function Theorem deals with single-variable functions, while the Implicit Function Theorem deals with multi-variable functions.