1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Function Theorem

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    I'm trying to see near which points of R^3 I can solve for theta, phi, and rho in terms of x,y, and z. I know i need to find the determinant and see when it equals zero; however, I get the determinant to equal zero when sin(phi) = 0, and when tan(theta) = -cot(phi). The first is right, but i've checked my work many times and keep getting the last solution. I just calculated the determinant of the partial derivatives (dx/dtheta, dx / dphi, dx / drho...dy/dtheta, dy/dphi, dy/drho...dz/dtheta, dz/dphi, dz/drho). I've checked my work many times. Am I correct, or am I doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

That doesn't look right. What is the equation you got for the determinant?

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    p = rho
    a = phi
    b = theta

p^2[cos(a)sin(a)(cosb)^3 + (sina)^2(sinb)^3 + cos(b)cos(a)sin(a)(sinb)^2 + sin(b)(sina)^2(sinb)^2].

I differentiated with respect to rho in the first column, phi in the second column, and theta in the third.

Thanks.

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

I get something different. All I can suggest is go back through it carefully.

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5
    thanks statusx for your time..i appreciate it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?