1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse function Theorem

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give an example of a continuously differentiable mapping F:R^n --> R^n with the property that tehre is no open subset U of R^n for which F(U) is open in R^n

2. Relevant equations
    let U be an open subset of R^n and supposed that the continuously differentiable mapping F:U-->R^n is stable and has an invertible derivative matrix at each point. Then it's image F(u) is also open.

3. The attempt at a solution

So from the theorem I stated it seems like if F is not stable at any point then F(U) is not open. so I just need to give a function whose Jacobian is non-invertible. i can just think of X^2 which isn't one to one. but that's in R^2 and this is asking for an example in R^n...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

X^2 though not being 1:1, will still take an open set to an open set... and unless i'm understanding wrong, it is from R -> R

if I read you theorem correctly, the problem suggest F does not have an invertible derivative matrix & so is not 1:1

so have a think about closed sets, is an isolated point a closed set?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Nov 2, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

updated

5. Nov 4, 2009 #4
    ok so if I let the mapping F be degenerative and map everything to a k in R^n. then it will take the open set U to a closed set in R^n. so thanks for the help i got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook