1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Function with Differentiation

1. Nov 8, 2005 #1
    Let f(x) = x^3 + e^x.
    Find (f^-1)'(2).
    I know how to do everything else except the first step. How do you find the inverse of f(x)? I know the inverse of an exponential function is a logarthmic function, but where do I proceed from here?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2005 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

There's a theorem for that

You don't need to find an inverse function to answer this question, you only need to determine the value of its derivative at 2. I am supposing that you know the chain rule:

Let [itex]y=g(x)[/itex] so that [itex]g^{-1}(y)=x[/itex]. Recall that y is a function of x, so in differentiating w.r.t. x we apply the chain rule to get [itex]\left( g^{-1} \right)^{\prime}(y)y^{\prime}=1[/itex] but [itex]y=g(x)[/itex]
    so put [itex]y^{\prime}=g^{\prime}(x)[/itex] and the equation becomes [itex]\left( g^{-1} \right)^{\prime}\left( g(x)\right) g^{\prime}(x)=1[/itex] or [itex]g^{\prime}(x)=\frac{1}{\left( g^{-1} \right)^{\prime}\left( g(x)\right)}[/itex].

In your problem, let [itex]g(x)=f^{-1}(x)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?