1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse function

1. Feb 3, 2008 #1
    Hi i'm trying to remember inverse functions for calculus but i'm having a few problems. So any help would be appreciated.

f(x)= 2x^3 + 3x^2 + 7x+ 4

So I have no clue how to solve this for the inverse. I know how to do basic ones. But i've forgotten these kind. So can i just get a step in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can get an inverse expression for a general cubic only by using the cubic formula. I DON'T recommend this. It's too complicated. What's the actual problem you need to solve? You probably don't need an explicit formula.

4. Feb 3, 2008 #3
    I'd agree, it would depend on the problem. You could use the cubic formula, but its pretty nasty.

5. Feb 4, 2008 #4
    Well I was hoping their was a nice way of doing b/c I knew about the cubic formula but wasn't about to use it for this. The actual question though was to find (f^-1)'(a) and the a= 4. I thought I had to find the inverse of the f(x) to solve the problem. Is there another way?

6. Feb 4, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes there is. f^(-1)(f(x))=x. Differentiate both sides and use the chain rule. f^(-1)'(f(x))*f'(x)=1. So f^(-1)'(f(x))=1/f'(x). If you want to use this at f(x)=a=4, You still have to find a value of x such that f(x)=4. But that's a lot easier problem than finding the general inverse.

7. Feb 4, 2008 #6
    Oh, okay I see what your saying I didn't think about using f(x)=a=4. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?