1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse functions

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My textbook states that the inverse of a bijection is also a bijection and is unique. I understand how to show that the inverse would be a bijection and intuitively I understand that it would be unique, but I'm not sure how to show that part.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My idea is to somehow say that if the inverse function is bijective and maps S -> T such that f-1(f(x))=x, then any other function that produces the same result must be the same function, but I can't quite figure out how to make this statement mathematically...
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2
    Well, about showing that the inverse is unique, try to prove it by using a contradiction. That is suppose that there is another function call it g that is different from f^-1 ( the inverse of f) but that is also the inverse of f, ( suppose that also g is the inverse of f) and try to derive a contradiction, in other words try to show that indeed f^-1=g.

This is the ide, the rest are details.
  4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    Suppose f:X->Y is a bijection. Let g and h be inverses of f. Show that g(y)=h(y) for all y in Y. To do this express y as f(x) (possible since f is a surjection), and use the definition of g and h.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?