Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Inverse functions

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My textbook states that the inverse of a bijection is also a bijection and is unique. I understand how to show that the inverse would be a bijection and intuitively I understand that it would be unique, but I'm not sure how to show that part.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My idea is to somehow say that if the inverse function is bijective and maps S -> T such that f-1(f(x))=x, then any other function that produces the same result must be the same function, but I can't quite figure out how to make this statement mathematically...
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2
    Well, about showing that the inverse is unique, try to prove it by using a contradiction. That is suppose that there is another function call it g that is different from f^-1 ( the inverse of f) but that is also the inverse of f, ( suppose that also g is the inverse of f) and try to derive a contradiction, in other words try to show that indeed f^-1=g.

This is the ide, the rest are details.

4. Feb 2, 2008 #3
    Suppose f:X->Y is a bijection. Let g and h be inverses of f. Show that g(y)=h(y) for all y in Y. To do this express y as f(x) (possible since f is a surjection), and use the definition of g and h.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook