Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse functions

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1

jgens

Gold Member

Does anyone know of an existing methodology for determining and proving whether or not a function has an inverse?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about by determining if the function is a bijection? Or am I missing something here?

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "horizontal line test". How many times does any horizontal line cross the graph of the function? Which is the same as "determining if the function is a bijection"!

5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Thank you very much. Just a brief follow up question: Suppose a function is invertable but the inverse has no representation in terms of elementary functions (I'm including trigonometric and logarithmic functions in this category) - I think f(x) = x + sin(x) would meet this criterion - is there a general method for proving that the function does not have an inverse expressable in terms of elementary functions?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?