1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Functions

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1

jgens

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose [itex]g[/itex] is a function with the property that [itex]g(x) \neq g(y)[/itex] if [itex]x \neq y[/itex]. Prove that there is a function [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]f \circ g = I[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

A function is collection of ordered pairs with the property that if [itex](a,b)[/itex] and [itex](a,c)[/itex] are in the collection, then [itex]b = c[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Here are my thoughts so far (this isn't a proof):

From the restrictions on [itex]g[/itex] we have that [itex]g(a) = g(b)[/itex] if and only if [itex]a = b[/itex]; hence, [itex]g[/itex] is the collection of ordered pairs [itex](x,g(x))[/itex] with the property that [itex](a,c)[/itex] and [itex](b,c)[/itex] are in the collection if and only if [itex]a = b[/itex].

If the composition of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] is the identity function then [itex]f \circ g[/itex] is the collection of ordered pairs [itex]((x,g(x)),(f \circ g)(x)) = ((x,g(x)),x) = (g(x),x)[/itex] such that if [itex](a,b)[/itex] and [itex](a,c)[/itex] are in the collection, then [itex]b = c[/itex]. Since [itex]g[/itex] has this property, it seems like there should be some function [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]f \circ g = I[/itex].

Now, I'm sure that what I've shown so far is an abuse of/improper notation and probably is not valid. I would just like some help to string everything together. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2
    Since you are defining a function as a collection of ordered pairs, why not define f to be the collection of ordered pairs that corresponds to reversing the order of the pairs in the collection g(x). Then the fact that fog = I is by definition, and you have only to prove that f is a function, which should be automatic given the definition of g.

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

I actually thought about that about a half-hour after my last post. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook