Proving Inverse Functions: g(x) \neq g(y) if x \neq y

In summary, we are trying to prove the existence of a function f that, when composed with the function g, results in the identity function. Using the restrictions on g, we can define f as the collection of ordered pairs that corresponds to reversing the order of the pairs in the collection g(x). This satisfies the condition for fog = I, and we only need to prove that f is a function, which follows from the definition of g.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]g[/itex] is a function with the property that [itex]g(x) \neq g(y)[/itex] if [itex]x \neq y[/itex]. Prove that there is a function [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]f \circ g = I[/itex]

Homework Equations

A function is collection of ordered pairs with the property that if [itex](a,b)[/itex] and [itex](a,c)[/itex] are in the collection, then [itex]b = c[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are my thoughts so far (this isn't a proof):

From the restrictions on [itex]g[/itex] we have that [itex]g(a) = g(b)[/itex] if and only if [itex]a = b[/itex]; hence, [itex]g[/itex] is the collection of ordered pairs [itex](x,g(x))[/itex] with the property that [itex](a,c)[/itex] and [itex](b,c)[/itex] are in the collection if and only if [itex]a = b[/itex].

If the composition of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] is the identity function then [itex]f \circ g[/itex] is the collection of ordered pairs [itex]((x,g(x)),(f \circ g)(x)) = ((x,g(x)),x) = (g(x),x)[/itex] such that if [itex](a,b)[/itex] and [itex](a,c)[/itex] are in the collection, then [itex]b = c[/itex]. Since [itex]g[/itex] has this property, it seems like there should be some function [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]f \circ g = I[/itex].

Now, I'm sure that what I've shown so far is an abuse of/improper notation and probably is not valid. I would just like some help to string everything together. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are defining a function as a collection of ordered pairs, why not define f to be the collection of ordered pairs that corresponds to reversing the order of the pairs in the collection g(x). Then the fact that fog = I is by definition, and you have only to prove that f is a function, which should be automatic given the definition of g.

I actually thought about that about a half-hour after my last post. Thanks!

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" the original function. In other words, if f(x) is a function, its inverse function, denoted as f^{-1}(x), will return the input value x when applied to the output of f(x). This means that f(f^{-1}(x)) = x and f^{-1}(f(x)) = x.

2. How do you prove that two functions are inverses?

To prove that two functions, f(x) and g(x), are inverses of each other, you need to show that f(g(x)) = x and g(f(x)) = x for all possible values of x. You can also use the horizontal line test to check if the graphs of the two functions are reflections of each other over the line y = x.

3. What does the statement g(x) \neq g(y) if x \neq y mean?

This statement means that if two inputs, x and y, are not equal, then their corresponding outputs, g(x) and g(y), will also not be equal. In other words, the function g(x) will produce unique outputs for each input.

4. How can you use the statement g(x) \neq g(y) if x \neq y to prove that g(x) is an inverse of f(x)?

If g(x) is an inverse of f(x), then it must satisfy the condition f(g(x)) = x for all possible values of x. Using the given statement, we can rewrite this condition as g(f(x)) \neq g(f(y)) if x \neq y. This means that for any two distinct inputs x and y, the outputs of f(x) and f(y) must also be distinct, which is true for an inverse function.

5. Can a function have more than one inverse?

No, a function can have at most one inverse. This is because for a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, which means that it must be a one-to-one function. If a function is not one-to-one, then it will have multiple outputs for some inputs, and thus will not have a unique inverse.