Finding the General Solution to Inverse Function Equations

In summary, when given the equations f(g(x))=h(x) and g(f(x))=h(x), the general solution for h(x) is h(x)=f(g(x)), where f and g are inverse functions. This solution only works if f has an inverse. Additionally, the solution can be written as g(x)=f-1(h(x)) or f(x)=g-1(h(x)). Utilizing both equations, it is possible to determine the particular solution for h(x) for specific functions f and g.
StephenPrivitera
What is the general solution to the equations f(g(x))=h(x) and g(f(x))=h(x), or how do you find the particular soltuion to the equations given a function f (given any f what is the general form of h(x) such that g(x) exists)?

My thoughts on the topic:

Specific example:
Suppose we have f(x)=x+1 and h(x)=x. Then g(x)=x-1.
Suppose instead h(x)=x+2. Then,
f(g(x))=g(x)+1=x+2
g(x)=x+1
g(f(x))=x+1+1=x+2 so it checks.
Now suppose h(x)=3x
f(g(x))=g(x)+1=3x
g(x)=3x-1
g(f(x))=3(x+1)-1=3x+2 doesn't check.

More general case:
Suppose now f(x)=x2
f(g(x))=[g(x)]2=h(x)
g(x)=sqrt(h(x))
g(f(x))=[squ]h(x2)=h(x)
So g(x) exists for a given h(x) if
h(x2)=[h(x)]2
I don't think I can solve this any further. I feel resigned to the fact that I must check to see that this holds for some specific h(x) rather than finding the general solution.
Certainly, h(x)=xk works. Any further thoughts?

Edit:
Oh by the way, h(x)=x of course works for all f provided that f has an inverse. So any general form should be able to reduce to h(x)=x.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try making the substitution x = f(z)

On the verge of tears... can't make substitution work... must change major...no more hints...

Hrm, while that substitution is interesting, it doesn't seem to help as much as I had hoped...

(it only let's me prove that f, g, and h all commute)

Ok, here's the next suggestion! See if you can apply some interesting operations and substitutions to solve each of the initial two equations formally for g-1(x). I get:

g-1(x) = h-1(f(x)) = f(h-1(x))

and this solution, if it exists, checks out.

With the information given, I doubt you can make a much stronger statement than this.

You are asking "given any f what is the general form of h(x) such that g(x) exists? " (such that f(g(x))= h(x)).

It doesn't depend of h so much as f: If f has an inverse, then

f-1(f(g(x))= f-1(h(x)) so
g(x)= f-1(h(x)).

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
You are asking "given any f what is the general form of h(x) such that g(x) exists? " (such that f(g(x))= h(x)).

It doesn't depend of h so much as f: If f has an inverse, then

f-1(f(g(x))= f-1(h(x)) so
g(x)= f-1(h(x)).
Your answer doesn't check out. I've come up with several expressions that did something similar. The tricky part is that you have to utilize both f(g(x))=g(f(x)) and f(g(x))=h(x). In your answer you don't utilize the first one.
Choose f(x)=x3, h(x)=2x
f-1(x)=x1/3
g(x)=(2x)1/3
but g(f(x))=x*21/3

(false therefore true) is a true implication.

Note that Ivy's conclusion began with "If f has an inverse".

But f(x)=x3 does have an inverse. In fact I purposely chose this one rahter than
f(x)=x2 for that exact reason.

Say we have f(x)=ex and h(x)=2x. Then g(x)=ln(2x) but g(f(x))=ln(2ex)=ln2+x.

Anyway the point is you can reach Ivy's conclusion from just the fact that f(g(x))=h(x). Simply apply the inverse of f on both sides. But this is true regardless of the fact that g(f(x))=f(g(x)). A solution should be dependent on this fact.

1. What is the general solution to inverse function equations?

The general solution to inverse function equations is the set of all possible solutions to an equation that can be used to find the inverse of a given function. It typically involves finding the inverse function and solving for the variable in terms of the other variable.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can use the following steps:
1. Write the function in the form y = f(x)
2. Switch the x and y variables
3. Solve the equation for y to find the inverse function
4. Verify the inverse by plugging in values for x and y to see if they satisfy both equations.

3. Can all functions have an inverse?

No, not all functions have an inverse. In order for a function to have an inverse, it must be a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has a unique output. If a function is not one-to-one, it is not possible to find a unique inverse for every input.

4. What does the general solution to inverse function equations look like?

The general solution to inverse function equations typically involves a variable, such as x, being equal to a function of another variable, such as y. It may also include a constant, such as c, to represent all possible solutions.

5. Can the general solution to inverse function equations be simplified?

Yes, the general solution to inverse function equations can often be simplified by using algebraic methods, such as combining like terms and isolating the variable. However, it is important to verify that the simplified solution is equivalent to the original equation by plugging in values for x and y.