Inverse Function of f(x) = 3squareroot 2x+1 & f(x) = x^2 + 2x - 8

In summary, the inverse function of f(x) = x^2 + 2x - 8 is f-1(x) = 1 +/- sqrt(9+x)/2. To find the inverse of logarithmic and exponential functions, simply swap the base and the exponent. For example, the inverse of log_3 y = x is 3^x.
Struggling
find the inverse function of:
f: [-1/2,infin) ---> R, Where F(x) = 3sqaureroot 2x+1

i got f(x) = 3squareroot 2x+1
x = 3squareroot 2(f-1)+1
f-1 = (x^3-1)/2 where (infin,-1/2]

is this right?
because when i graph it, it doesn't really look like the inverse

also i just ran into another problem
find the inverse function of:
f : [-1,infin) ---R, where f(x) = x^2 + 2x - 8

i did:
f(x) = x^2 - 2x - 8
x = (f-1)^2 - 2(f-1) - 8
x+8 = (f-1)^2 - 2(f-1)
and then everything goes wrong here

edit: ARGGGGH just more and more problems, is there any forumla or way of working out the inverse of Log's and exponentials? i can't find any in my books

thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Struggling said:
is this right? because when i graph it, it doesn't really look like the inverse

No, nothing that you're doing there looks even close. You seem to really be at a loss to manipulate equations correctly. The basic skill you seem to be missing is that of transposing simple equations. Practice of this would be a good place for you to start.

For example, can you manipulate a simple equation like f = 9c/5 + 32 to express c in terms of f (this is called transposing btw). This is the thing you really need to lean before you can do the above problems (or just about anything else in maths actually).

is there any forumla or way of working out the inverse of Log's and exponentials?

The inverse of the log function is the exponential.
the inverse of the exponential is the log function.

For example

[tex] log_3 y = x [/tex]

Inverse function is [itex] 3^n [/itex]

[tex] 3 ^ {log_3 y} = 3 ^ x [/itex]

[tex] y = 3^x [/tex]

f(x) = x^2 - 2x - 8
Rewrite x2-2x-8-f=0.

x=1+-sqrt(9+f)

1. What is the inverse function of f(x) = 3√(2x+1)?

The inverse function of f(x) = 3√(2x+1) is g(x) = (x/3)^2 - 1/3, which is obtained by switching the x and y variables and solving for y.

2. How do you find the inverse function algebraically?

To find the inverse function algebraically, you need to switch the x and y variables and then solve for y. This will give you an equation in terms of x, which is the inverse function of the original function.

3. Can you graph the inverse function of f(x) = 3√(2x+1)?

Yes, the inverse function of f(x) = 3√(2x+1) can be graphed by plotting the points (x, f(x)) and then reflecting them over the line y=x. The resulting graph will be the inverse function g(x).

4. Can you check if the inverse function is correct?

Yes, you can check if the inverse function is correct by plugging in values for x into both the original function and the inverse function. If the outputs are the same, then the inverse function is correct.

5. Are there any restrictions on the input of the inverse function?

Yes, there may be restrictions on the input of the inverse function depending on the original function. For example, if the original function has a square root, the input of the inverse function must be positive. It is important to check for any restrictions before finding the inverse function.