Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Image of an Open Set

1. Aug 22, 2004 #1
    Why is the inverse image of the open set {t|t<1/2},
    {t|t>=1/2 or t<1/4}?

the t>+1/2 sort of makes sense to me, but can't seem to grasp how t<1/4 is an inverse image

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by inverse image?? A set has an image or inverse image under some function. What function are you talking about?

(My first week in grad school, I was called upon to do a proof in class about "inverse image" of sets. I completely embarrased myself by assuming that, since the word "inverse" was used, f must have and inverse function!)

4. Aug 22, 2004 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

one thing seems clear, the function will not likely be continuous, since an open set has a non open inverse image (unless the domain is a little special).

5. Aug 22, 2004 #4
    http://www.csh.rit.edu/~pat/math/papers/topology/topology.pdf

At the end of section 3.2 on Multipilication of Paths, they speak of the inverse image of the open set I mentioned earlier.

I suppose the function is the step function y=2t when 0<=t<1/2
    and y=0 when t>=1/2

Thanks for the replies

6. Aug 22, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, and it specifically refers to the inverse image under a given function. In particular, the function of the problem you are referring to (on page 5 of your reference) is :
    &tau;&sigma;(t)= 2t if 0<= x< 1/2
    0 if x>= 1/2
    and notes that this is not a "path" because it is not continuous (as mathwonk pointed out from the given solution). (&tau;(t) and &sigma;(t) were defined separately.)

We really need to know that before we can answer your question!

Now, what is the inverse image of {t|t< 1/2}?
    That is, what are the values of t such that &tau;&sigma(x)< 1/2?

Well, certainly 0< 1/2 so all t> =1/2 qualifies.
    In order that 2t< 1/2, we must have t<1/4. That is certainly less than 1/2 so it fits the formula.
    f(t)< 1/2 as long as t is either < 1/4 or >= 1/2 as claimed.

7. Aug 22, 2004 #6
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?