1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse laplace and power series

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to figure out how to represent an inverse laplace transform by a power series. There is an example in my book but it is not very well explained.

f(s)=1/s+1 which i know is the transform of y=e^-t.

In the book they use the fact that L(t^n)= n!/s^n+1. and therefore a taylor series representation given by t^n/n!=the inverse of 1/s^n+1. Therefore our power series in s has this form. After this point i am totally lost. They state that 1/s+1 =1/s(1+1/s).
    and the solution is therfore (1/s)-(1/s^2)+(1/s^3) etc.

Now id like to know, WHY do they take the factor of s out of the equation?
    ANd then how do they find the coefficients of the s terms? do they differentite f(s) to find the coefficient of each s term? like we do for a taolr series
    Is there an easier way?
    and waht value of s, is it evaluated at to find the coefficients?
    If someone understands this i would appreciate an explanation, because this book seems to always assume that the reader is a 20 year mathematics veteran or something!
    So please dont just post the answer because i already know the answer, i am trying to understand this concept.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?