1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Question

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Could anyone please check my work, The answer is wrong. Correct Answer: e^2t(-t+e^t-1)

2. Relevant equations

Inverse Laplace

3. The attempt at a solution

Here's my solution, please point out my mistakes. One mistake i found after taking the picture is: Its -2te^-2t ( third last step), Then my answer is just e^-t+e^-2t

http://postimage.org/image/mfzr6aom5/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have a couple of mistakes near the beginning.

You have
    $$ \frac{1}{(s + 1)^2(s + 1)^2} = \frac{A}{s+ 1} + \frac{Bs + C}{(s + 2)^2}$$

The first mistake is minor and probably a typo - you wrote (s + 1)2 in the first fraction when I think you meant (s + 2)2.

The second mistake is one of understanding. To decompose a repeated linear factor such as (s + 2)2 you do it like this:
    $$ \frac{1}{(s + 1)^2(s + 2)^2} = \frac{A}{s+ 1} + \frac{B}{s + 2} + \frac{C}{(s + 2)^2}$$
    The way you did it is for irreducible quadratics (i.e., quadratics with complex factors), not quadratics that are perfect squares.

After that I stopped looking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Gotcha, Thanks mate. This solves the mystery :) and yes i meant (s+2)^2

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's why they pay us the big bucks. Oh wait, they don't pay us at all!
    Glad I could help...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook