Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transform Step by Step

1. Jul 5, 2005 #1
    Hi - I really need someone to show me step by step how to do an Inverse Laplace transform using a contour integral. The one I would like to understand is the frequency function 1/sqrt(s)

Thank you if you can help me out.

Steve

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2005 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

This is the contour integral that gives the inverse.
    [tex] f(t)= \frac{1}{2{\pi}i} \int_{a-i\infty}^{a+i\infty} g(s)e^{st} ds [/tex]
    or for the specific function.
    [tex] f(t)=\frac{1}{2{\pi}i}\int_{a-i\infty}^{a+i\infty} \frac{e^{st}}{\sqrt{s}} ds [/tex]
    We need to take "a" far enough to the right that we avoid problems.
    Here we may take a=0, as even though the function has problems at zero, they are not major. You can consider a small right half circle and see the integral is small.
    [tex] f(t)=\frac{1}{2{\pi}i}\int_{-i\infty}^{i\infty} \frac{e^{st}}{\sqrt{s}} ds [/tex]
    we can clean the integral up with a substitution i u=s t
    [tex] f(t)=\frac{1}{2{\pi}\sqrt{it}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{iu}}{\sqrt{u}} du [/tex]
    This integral can be written in terms of "know" real integrals.
    [tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{sin(x)}{\sqrt{x}} dx=\int_0^\infty \frac{cos(x)}{\sqrt{x}} dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]
    thus the answer
    [tex]f(t)=\frac{2+2i}{2{\pi}\sqrt{it}}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

[tex]f(t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{{\pi}t}}[/tex]
    You can also do a real inversion.
    [tex]f(t)=\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!}g^{(k)}(\frac{k}{t})(\frac{k}{t})^{k+1}[/tex]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
  4. Jul 6, 2005 #3
    Thank you.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it!

Steve

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?