1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transform

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hi, I recently posted another question about a Laplace transform and now have a question about taking the inverse Laplace transform. Again, my professor did not cover this topic as well as I could have hoped for, and so I am stuck on this problem as well. Again, I understand the idea of Laplace transforms (and their inverses) very well, however actually computing them seems to be another issue. Anyway, here is the problem.

2502qz9.png

I saw a definition in the book that seemed like it could be useful, however, when I tried to implement it, things seemed to get ugly. Here's the definition I found:

[itex]\ell^{-1}[/itex] [itex]\left\{\stackrel{F(s)}{s}\right\}[/itex] = [itex]\int^{t}_{0}[/itex] f([itex]\tau[/itex]) d[itex]\tau[/itex]

Please note that due to my typing incompetency, I cannot figure out how to make fractions with the forum tools. That should be F(s)/s in the inverse Laplace transform brackets above.

Any help or step in the right direction would be appreciated. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    Since you have that formula, you observe in your problem that F(s)=(1-exp(-s))/(1+exp(-s)), which can be inverted by a little manipulation (and table look up). Then F(s)/s is inverted by integrating f(tau).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook