1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace transform

1. Sep 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the inverse Laplace transform of the expression:

F(S) = [itex]\frac{3s+5}{s^2 +9}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From general Laplace transforms, I see a pattern with laplace transforming sin(t) and cos(t) because:

L{sin(t)+cos(t)} = [itex]\frac{s+1}{s^2 +1}[/itex]

All I'm missing here is a couple of constants(?).

I know that the laplace transform works like this:

L{Asin(Bt)+Ccos(Dt)} = [itex]\frac{Cs}{s^2 +D}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{A*B}{s^2 +B^2}[/itex]

Looking at my original problem, I can see that I need B to equal D, ##D^2## + ##B^2## = 9, C = 3 and A*B = 5.

If I set A = 5, B = 3, C = 9 and D = 3 I get ##3^2## + ##3^2## = 18, 5
    3 = 15 (putting numbers into my equations above).

Therefore I need to divide the whole expression by 3 to get my correct answer:

L{[itex]\frac{1}{3}([/itex]5sin(3t)+9cos(3t))} = [itex]\frac{3s+5}{s^2 +9}[/itex]

Is there a simpler way to do this? Or do I just have to use the trial and error method until I find the correct factors/constants?

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What? One of the equations above said A*B= 5 which is NOT satisfied by A= 5, B= 3. You have only three equations for the four values A, B, C, and D. And there is no reason to assume that A, B, C, and D must be integers.

Use the fact that the Laplace transform, and so its inverse, is linear.
    [tex]\frac{3s+ 5}{s^2+ 9}= 3\frac{s}{s^2+ 9}+ 5\frac{1}{s^2+ 9}[/tex]
    and look up their inverse transforms separately.

The laplace transform of [itex]cos(\omega x)[/itex] is [itex]\frac{s}{s^2+ \omega^2}[/itex] so the inverse transform of [itex]3\frac{s}{s^2+ 9}[/itex] is [itex]3 cos(3x)[/itex]

The Laplace transform of [itex]sin(\omega x)[/itex] is [itex]\frac{\omega}{s^2+ \omega^2}[/itex] so the inverse transform of [itex]5\frac{1}{s^2+ 9}= (5/3)\frac{3}{s^2+ 9}[/itex] is [itex](5/3)sin(3x)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted