Inverse Laplace Transform with Division and Integration

In summary: in summary, the formula provided in the book is incorrect, and you must divide by s to find the inverse.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

Division by s Equals integration by t:
For this problem use the following property (see relevant equations) to find the inverse transform of the given function: [itex] F(s) = \frac{1}{s(s-1)} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] L^{-1}(\frac{F(s)}{s}) = \int_{0}^{t} f(\tau)\,d \tau [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above formula I have: [itex] F(s) = \frac{1}{s(s-1)} [/itex]
So : [itex] \frac{F(s)}{s} = \frac{\frac{1}{s(s-1)}}{s} = \frac{1}{s^{2}(s-1)} [/itex]
Next I used a partial fraction decomposition:
[itex] \frac{1}{s^{2}(s-1)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{B}{s^{2}} + \frac{C}{(s-1)} [/itex]
[itex] As(s-1) + B(s-1) + Cs^{2} = 1 [/itex]
Solving for A, B, and C I found [itex] A=-1 \hspace{1 mm} B=-1 \hspace{1 mm} C = 1 [/itex]
So the decomposition is:
[itex] \frac{1}{s^{2}(s-1)} = -\frac{1}{s} - \frac{1}{s^{2}} + \frac{1}{(s-1)} [/itex]
The inverse Laplace transform of the above equation is:
[itex] -t - e^{t} - 1 [/itex]
However, the answer given in my textbook is:
[itex] e^{t} - 1 [/itex]
Coincidentally, when I perform the partial fraction decomposition on [itex] F(s) [/itex], I arrive at the answer given in the back of the text, which is really confusing me, do I not need to divide [itex]F(s)[/itex] by [itex] s [/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
_N3WTON_ said:

Homework Statement

Division by s Equals integration by t:
For this problem use the following property (see relevant equations) to find the inverse transform of the given function: [itex] F(s) = \frac{1}{s(s-1)} [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] L^{-1}(F(s)) = \int_{0}^{t} f(\tau)\,d \tau [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above formula I have: [itex] F(s) = \frac{1}{s(s-1)} [/itex]

You have stated the formula wrong. The formula you want is$$
\mathcal L^{-1}\frac 1 s F(s) = \int_0^t f(\tau)~d\tau$$where ##f## is the inverse of ##F##. In your problem ##F(s) =\frac 1 {s-1}##. Informally, this says if you suppress a factor of ##\frac 1 s## you must integrate the result to get the original inverse.

LCKurtz said:
You have stated the formula wrong. The formula you want is$$
\mathcal L^{-1}\frac 1 s F(s) = \int_0^t f(\tau)~d\tau$$where ##f## is the inverse of ##F##. In your problem ##F(s) =\frac 1 {s-1}##. Informally, this says if you suppress a factor of ##\frac 1 s## you must integrate the result to get the original inverse.
ah, thank you very much, the problem makes much more sense now. I am blaming my book though, the formula they provided isn't very clear, they formatted it in the same way that I did above...although to be fair I guess I just completely misinterpreted the problem :)

1. What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a function from the frequency domain to the time domain. It is the reverse operation of the Laplace transform and is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations.

2. How is an Inverse Laplace Transform calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform is calculated using a formula that involves complex numbers and integrals. This formula is known as the Bromwich integral and is used to find the original function from its Laplace transform.

3. What are the applications of Inverse Laplace Transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has many applications in engineering and physics, including in circuit analysis, control systems, and signal processing. It is also used in solving differential equations that arise in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

4. What are the properties of Inverse Laplace Transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has several important properties, including linearity, time-shifting, and frequency-shifting. These properties make it a powerful tool for solving various types of problems and equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Inverse Laplace Transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the inverse Laplace transform. It can only be used for functions that have a Laplace transform, and it may not work for all types of functions. Additionally, calculating the inverse Laplace transform can be a complex and time-consuming process, especially for functions with complicated Laplace transforms.