1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transform

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Division by s Equals integration by t:
    For this problem use the following property (see relevant equations) to find the inverse transform of the given function: [itex] F(s) = \frac{1}{s(s-1)} [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] L^{-1}(\frac{F(s)}{s}) = \int_{0}^{t} f(\tau)\,d \tau [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the above formula I have: [itex] F(s) = \frac{1}{s(s-1)} [/itex]
    So : [itex] \frac{F(s)}{s} = \frac{\frac{1}{s(s-1)}}{s} = \frac{1}{s^{2}(s-1)} [/itex]
    Next I used a partial fraction decomposition:
    [itex] \frac{1}{s^{2}(s-1)} = \frac{A}{s} + \frac{B}{s^{2}} + \frac{C}{(s-1)} [/itex]
    [itex] As(s-1) + B(s-1) + Cs^{2} = 1 [/itex]
    Solving for A, B, and C I found [itex] A=-1 \hspace{1 mm} B=-1 \hspace{1 mm} C = 1 [/itex]
    So the decomposition is:
    [itex] \frac{1}{s^{2}(s-1)} = -\frac{1}{s} - \frac{1}{s^{2}} + \frac{1}{(s-1)} [/itex]
    The inverse Laplace transform of the above equation is:
    [itex] -t - e^{t} - 1 [/itex]
    However, the answer given in my textbook is:
    [itex] e^{t} - 1 [/itex]
    Coincidentally, when I perform the partial fraction decomposition on [itex] F(s) [/itex], I arrive at the answer given in the back of the text, which is really confusing me, do I not need to divide [itex]F(s)[/itex] by [itex] s [/itex]?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have stated the formula wrong. The formula you want is$$
    \mathcal L^{-1}\frac 1 s F(s) = \int_0^t f(\tau)~d\tau$$where ##f## is the inverse of ##F##. In your problem ##F(s) =\frac 1 {s-1}##. Informally, this says if you suppress a factor of ##\frac 1 s## you must integrate the result to get the original inverse.

4. Nov 14, 2014 #3
    ah, thank you very much, the problem makes much more sense now. I am blaming my book though, the formula they provided isn't very clear, they formatted it in the same way that I did above...although to be fair I guess I just completely misinterpreted the problem :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted