1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transform

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the Laplace transform

$$F_L(s) = \frac{1}{(s+2)(s^2+4)},$$

by using the complex inversion formula compute the inverse Laplace transform, ##f(t),## for the following regions of convergence:

(i) ##Re(s)<-2;##
    (ii) ##-2<Re(s)<0;##
    (iii) ##Re(s)>0.##

2. Relevant equations

Inverse Laplace transform relationship:

$$f(t) = \frac{1}{j2\pi} \int^{\sigma + j \infty}_{\sigma-j\infty} F_L (s) \exp(st) \ ds \tag{1}$$

Where ##s=\sigma + j \omega,## and ##\sigma## must be chosen to lie within the region of absolute convergence of ##F_L.##

3. The attempt at a solution

So, using equation (1), how do I exactly choose the values of ##\sigma## for each case? I am very confused about this part. :confused:

I tried to solve this without the complex inversion formula (just to see what the solution has to look like). I started out by expanding using partial fractions as:

$$F_L(s) = \frac{1}{(s+2)(s^2+4)} = \frac{1}{8(s+2)} + \frac{1}{8(s^2 +4)}$$

There is a pole at ##s=-2## due to the first term. The first term has the form ##1/(s-a),## so its transform can be written as ##\frac{1}{8} e^{-2t}.## However I am unable to proceed further because I don't see in Laplace transform tables what the transform of the form ##1/(s^2 +a)## looks like.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Expand
    [tex] \frac{1}{s^2+4} = \frac{1}{(s+2i)(s-2i)} [/tex]
    in partial fractions. You will end up with a trigonometric function as your answer.

4. May 8, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much for this hint. I expanded the fraction and got:

$$\frac{1}{8} \left( \frac{1}{s+2} + \frac{j}{4(s+2j)} - \frac{j}{4(s-2j)} \right)$$

now that we reduced the expression into a sum of standard forms, the only transform applicable in this case is ##\frac{1}{s-a} \iff e^{at}.## Therefore we obtain

$$f(t) = \frac{1}{8} \left( e^{-2t} + \frac{j}{4} \left( e^{-2jt} + e^{2jt} \right) \right).$$

Is this correct? When you say you end up with a trigonometric function, do you mean that I should express the exponentials in the last equation as sines and cosines?

5. May 8, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you try it for yourself, to see what you get?

6. May 8, 2016 #5
    I already have. I was asking you to clarify what you meant by "ending up with a trigonometric function as your answer".

7. May 8, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was talking about the part ##1/(s^2+4)## that you were having trouble with; not the entire expression.

What I meant is exactly what I said: that the final answer (to that part) will involve the trigonometric functions ##\sin## and/or ##\cos##. The thing you start with, ##1/(s^2+4)## is real, so the answer ##f(t)## that you end up with should be real as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted