1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Laplace Transforms

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(s) = -5s/S^2+9

2. Relevant equations
    I think
    f(t) cosωt = f(s) s/s^2+ω^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    ω=3

Answer
    -5cos(3t)

Can anyone tell me if I did this correctly? I think I did but just want to make sure, if not can you tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

There is not really much of a problem statement there but, going by the title, I think you are after the inverse laplace transform of ##f(s) = -5 \frac{s}{s^2+9}##. Yes, your result is correct. $$\mathcal{L}^{-1} f(s) \equiv Y(t) = -5 \cdot \mathcal{L}^{-1}\left( \frac{s}{s^2+9}\right) = -5 \cos 3 t$$

4. Jun 1, 2014 #3
    I just wanted to verify my answers, I dont have asolutions manual and want to make sure I am doing the problems correctly.

Thank you

5. Jun 1, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer is wrong for what you WROTE, which was
    [tex] f(s) = -\frac{5s}{s^2}+9[/tex]
    but it would be correct if you had written
    [tex] f(s) = -\frac{5s}{s^2+9}[/tex]
    In text you would write this using parentheses: f(s) = -5s/(s^2+9). Such a simple step to avoid confusion!

6. Jun 1, 2014 #5
    I am sorry, the way you wrote it the second way is the way it was supposed to be written.. guess I need to learn to make proper equations.

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted