Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse matrices help please

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    hi there would anyone be able to give me a link or guidence as how i would go about finding the inverse of A? I have a book that tells me add subtract and multiply.

the question is this: find the inverse of A

A =

(19 81)
    (2 10)

sorry for the crude matrices. any help would be great :)

lakitu

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2
    there is a trick for finding the inverse of a 2x2 matrix
    [tex]A=\left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\
    c & d \end{array} \right)[/tex]
    then
    [tex]A^{-1}=\frac{1}{ad-bc}\left( \begin{array}{cc} d & -b \\
    -c & a \end{array} \right)[/tex]
    provided ad-bc is not equal to zero
    hope that helps

4. Apr 26, 2006 #3
  5. Apr 27, 2006 #4
    thank you for your comments :)

6. Apr 27, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If your book is telling you "add, subtract, and multiply" (hey, that's how you solve any mathematics problem!:rolleyes: ) then go back and read over exactly what you add and subtract and what you multiply by. I suspect that your book is talking about "row operations"- that's what Gale's website is talking about.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2006
  7. Apr 27, 2006 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Before rushing off to a formula or procedure, it might be helpful to understand what you are trying to do when determining the inverse of a matrix.

Given a square matrix [tex]A=\left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\
    c & d \end{array} \right)[/tex],
    its inverse [if it exists] is another square matrix [tex]A^{-1}=\left( \begin{array}{cc} p & q \\
    r & s \end{array} \right)[/tex] such that the matrix product is the identity matrix.

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    AA^{-1}&=I\\
    \left( \begin{array}{cc} a & b \\
    c & d \end{array} \right)
    \left( \begin{array}{cc} p & q \\
    r & s \end{array} \right)
    &=
    \left( \begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\
    0 & 1\end{array} \right)
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]
    If you carry out the matrix multiplication, you should find a simple system of four linear equations in four unknowns... "simple" because it's really a pair of systems of two linear equations in two unknowns. You can easily solve these systems to obtain the formula given by vladimir69 above.
    (In addition, the inverse would satisfy [tex]A^{-1}A&=I[/tex] as well.)

8. Apr 28, 2006 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Of course, if you have a 3 by 3 or 5 by 5 matrix, so that your system is 9 equation in 9 unknowns or 25 equations in 25 unknowns, you might find robphy's method a bit tedious! I think it's worth learning row reduction.

9. Apr 28, 2006 #8
    i think it's a bit more trickier than just plain trick, it's actually a theorem.

10. Apr 28, 2006 #9

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agreed!... assuming one first understands what it means to take the inverse of a matrix.

11. Apr 28, 2006 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is how I like to think of it. If this doesn't make sense to you, feel free to forget about it so you don't get confused!

We start off with the partitioned matrix:

[A : I]

which has the property that: (the left matrix) = (the right matrix) * A. In particular, A = I*A.

Now, if we do row operations, we will get some other partitioned matrix:

[B : C]

which still has the property that: (the left matrix) = (the right matrix) * A. In particular, B = C*A

If we fully row-reduce the left hand side, we get the partitioned matrix:

[I : V]

which still has the property that (the left matrix) = (the right matrix) * A. In particular, I = V*A, and therefore V is the inverse of A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?