1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse matrix in a relation

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Hi .
    I have this question( discrete math) :
    How can the matrix for R-1 , the inverse of the relation R, be found from the matrix representing R, when R is a relation a finite set A.

How can I do this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When in doubt, try a simple example. Suppose A= {1, 2, 3} and R is defined as {(1, 1), (1, 3), (2, 3)} (I just made that up pretty much at random. Remember that a "relation on A" is just a collection of pairs of members of A.) Now, the "matrix representing R" is the matrix having 1 in the "a row, b column" when (a,b) is in R, 0 otherwise. here, labeling the rows and columns 1, 2, 3 in that order, the matrix is
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1 & 0 & 1\\0 & 0 &1 \\0 & 0 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex].

What is the relation R-1? What matrix represents it? How are the two matrices related?

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    I think, we need to find a matrix R-1 such that R*R-1=indentity matrix

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?