Is f(x) = √(5x+2) one-to-one on (-2/5, infinity)?

In summary: This was a problem in my calculus textbook. There's a theorem that says increasing/decreasing functions have inverses, but I wasn't sure how to show that the function satisfied the hypothesis.You should be able to use the inverse function theorem to show that f(x) satisfies the hypothesis.
bigplanet401

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex]
f(x) = \sqrt{5x+2}
[/tex]

is one-to-one.

Homework Equations

If f' >0 or f' < 0 everywhere on f's domain, f is one-to-one.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
f^\prime = \frac{5}{2} \frac{1}{\sqrt{5x +2}} = \frac{5}{2f}
[/tex]

f' is positive on (-2/5, infinity) but is undefined at x = -2/5. I can therefore say that f is one-to-one on this interval, but what about the point x=-2/5? The derivative is undefined there (the left-hand limit does not exist). There might be a way to argue that f is increasing on [-2/5, infinity), but I don't know how to do so since I really don't know if f(-2/5) = 0 is the minimum value.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have shown that ##f## is monotonically increasing on ##(-2/5,\infty)##. This combined with the continuity of ##f## along ##x \in [0,\infty)## is sufficient to state that ##f## is one-to-one.

Also, you can look at the definition of one-to-one when dealing with ##x=-2/5## (since you used a theorem for all other points of existence), and recall that one-to-one functions never map distinct elements of its domain to the same element of its range.

joshmccraney said:
You have shown that ##f## is monotonically increasing on ##(-2/5,\infty)##. This combined with the continuity of ##f## along ##x \in [0,\infty)## is sufficient to state that ##f## is one-to-one.

Also, you can look at the definition of one-to-one when dealing with ##x=-2/5## (since you used a theorem for all other points of existence), and recall that one-to-one functions never map distinct elements of its domain to the same element of its range.

Thanks! But without doing anything else, I'm not sure I can assume f(x) will never be zero except at x=-2/5.

But after thinking a bit more, I was able to use the fact that f(a) = f(-2/5) is defined and the mean value theorem to write

f(x) - f(a) = f'(c)(x - a) where c is in (a, x). Since f'(c) > 0 when x > a, the right-hand side will be positive and so f(x) > f(a) everywhere in [a, x) (with x > a).

bigplanet401 said:
Thanks! But without doing anything else, I'm not sure I can assume f(x) will never be zero except at x=-2/5.

But after thinking a bit more, I was able to use the fact that f(a) = f(-2/5) is defined and the mean value theorem to write

f(x) - f(a) = f'(c)(x - a) where c is in (a, x). Since f'(c) > 0 when x > a, the right-hand side will be positive and so f(x) > f(a) everywhere in [a, x) (with x > a).
Very nice. You are in analysis, correct, hence the burden of proof?

joshmccraney said:
Very nice. You are in analysis, correct, hence the burden of proof?

This was a problem in my calculus textbook. There's a theorem that says increasing/decreasing functions have inverses, but I wasn't sure how to show that the function satisfied the hypothesis.

I see. I suppose another way to solve could have been to simply set ##f=0## and solve for ##x##. You'd then know what values of ##x## give the desired output. It seems then your theorem covers all other points.

Directly from the definition of "one-to-one": If f(x)= f(y) then [itex]\sqrt{5x+ 2}= \sqrt{5y+ 2}[/itex]. Show that x= y.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function is a mathematical operation that involves finding the original input value from a given output value. In other words, it is a function that "undoes" the original function.

How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you can follow these steps: 1) Write the function as an equation with "y" as the output variable, 2) Switch the "x" and "y" variables, 3) Solve for "y", 4) Replace "y" with "f^-1(x)" to represent the inverse function.

What is the importance of finding the inverse of a function?

The inverse of a function is important in many areas of mathematics and science as it allows us to solve equations and problems that involve finding the original input value. It also helps us understand the relationship between the input and output values of a function.

Does every function have an inverse?

No, not every function has an inverse. For a function to have an inverse, it must pass the horizontal line test, meaning that every horizontal line only intersects the function once. If a function fails this test, then it does not have an inverse.

What is the notation used for the inverse of a function?

The notation used for the inverse of a function is "f^-1(x)", where "f" represents the original function and "x" represents the input value. It is read as "f inverse of x" or "the inverse of f at x".