1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of a Matrix

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I'm taking a Calculus I class, so they won't be going into Matrices very much. That's more for Linear Algebra.

I'm going through an E&M book now (as a refresher from my Physics days of 7 years ago). This book assumes knowledge in getting the inverse of a matrix.

Using this site, I was able to find the inverse, by using row reduction. However, I was wondering if there is a quicker or easier way to find a matrix inverse.

http://people.hofstra.edu/Stefan_waner/RealWorld/tutorialsf1/frames3_3.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    Be aware that finding the inverse can be a very long and laborious task. In fact, much of the time this is simply not done, and the inverse is either estimated, which can be done fairly easily to a reasonable degree of accuracy, or else ways around getting the inverse are used, e.g. gauss elimination followed by back substitution.

5. Jan 16, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are a number of different ways of finding an inverse matrix. In my opinion, "row reduction" is the simplest.

6. Jan 16, 2008 #5
    Another way is to use the fact that the inverse of A is the transpose of the matrix of cofactors of A divided by the determinant of A. Probably more calculations than row reduction, but I find it easier to remember. And for a given size matrix, it's pretty easy to program in Excel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?