Find Inverse of Matrix Mod 2: Solving the Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse of a matrix mod 2 and whether changing the -1's to 1's at the end has any effect on the result. There is also a question about the meaning of -1 in this context.
Firepanda
1 1 1
1 1 0
1 0 0

Find the inverse of this matrix Mod 2

For the standard inverse I got

0 0 1
0 1 -1
1 -1 0

Now do I change all those -1's to 1? Or should I have done that at each step and not leave it to the last?

Is finding the inverse mod n, the same as saying find the inverse over the field k, where k = Fn, where all values correspond to an integer in {0,1,2,..,n-1}? i.e in F3, {0,1,2} the number -1 would correspond to 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you change the -1's in the second matrix to 1's, and then multiply by the first matrix, you get I3. For your first question, I don't believe it makes a difference when you change, at intermediate steps or the end.

What is -1? That is, what is the additive inverse of 1 (mod 2)? That is Mark44's point.

1. How do I find the inverse of a matrix mod 2?

To find the inverse of a matrix mod 2, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. First, write the matrix with the identity matrix next to it, then use elementary row operations to transform the original matrix into the identity matrix. The matrix next to the identity matrix at the end will be the inverse of the original matrix mod 2.

2. Why do we need to find the inverse of a matrix mod 2?

The inverse of a matrix mod 2 is necessary for solving certain problems in areas such as coding theory, cryptography, and error-correcting codes. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in finding the determinant of a matrix.

3. Can any matrix have an inverse mod 2?

No, not all matrices have an inverse mod 2. For a matrix to have an inverse mod 2, it must be a square matrix and its determinant must be relatively prime to the modulus (in this case, 2).

4. What is the process for solving a puzzle using matrix mod 2?

The process for solving a puzzle using matrix mod 2 involves representing the puzzle as a system of linear equations, creating a matrix from the coefficients of the equations, finding the inverse of the matrix mod 2, and then using the inverse to solve the equations and ultimately, the puzzle.

5. Are there any limitations to using matrix mod 2 in solving puzzles?

While matrix mod 2 is a useful tool for solving puzzles, it is not applicable to all types of puzzles. It is best suited for problems that can be represented as a system of linear equations, such as Sudoku puzzles or other logic puzzles.