1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of a sum of matrices

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    Inverse of a sum of matrices [solved]

The problem is relatively simple. Given the equation:

[tex](I+2A)^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & 2 \\
    4 & 5 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Find A.

My problem seems to be that I'm distributing the inverse on the LHS incorrectly. My real question then is, is the following correct?

[tex](I+2A)^{-1}=I^{-1}+\frac{1}{2}A^{-1}[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. There is no distributive property for exponents, which is what you seem to be doing.

Since
    [tex](I+2A)^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & 2 \\
    4 & 5 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The matrix on the right is clearly invertible, so why don't you take the inverse of both sides?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, exponents do distribute over products in some fashion, and there is the binomial theorem and its generalizations. But the first is not relevant and the second a long and torturous path for this problem.

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I should have been more clear - that exponents don't distribute over a sum; in other words, that (A + B)n [itex]\neq[/itex] An + Bn.

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5
    Beautiful.

Inverting both sides did the trick.

Inverse of the RHS is [tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{-5}{13} & \frac{2}{13} \\ \frac{4}{13} & \frac{1}{13} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]. I'll call this [tex]B^{-1}[/tex]

So then I'm left with
    [tex]\begin{align}I+2A&=B^{-1} \\

2A&=B^{-1}-I \\

A&=\frac{B^{-1}-I}{2}=\begin{bmatrix} \frac{-9}{13} & \frac{1}{13} \\ \frac{2}{13} & \frac{-6}{13}\end{bmatrix} \end{align}[/tex]

Plugging this into the original LHS yields the correct result. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook