Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of Integration?

1. Feb 21, 2007 #1
    Question:

In my homework problem, I'm trying to get rid of an integration over a close curve on the complex plane. I was wondering if its possible to somehow take the inverse of the integral on other side of the following equatin.

Please explain the reasoning of why or why not so that I can understand it for future problems :P.

2ipif'(0) = Integral over alpha (Any circle containing 0 on the interior) of f(x)/x^2.

Where f(x) is an analytic function from c to c.

Obviously f(x)/x^2 is not analytic on all c, since 0 is a critical point, I was still wondering if there is a way to get rid of the integral by doing something on both sides of the equation. Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Does the integral have bounds? If so, no inverse. Otherwise, differentiate.

4. Feb 22, 2007 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the residue theorem.

5. Feb 22, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you have is a special case of Cauchy's integral formula:
    [tex]2\pi i f^{(n)}(z_0)= \int \frac{f(z)}{(z-z_0)^{n+1}}dz[/tex]
    where the integration is over any closed path (not necessarily a circle) with z0[/sup] in its interior and f(z) is analytic inside the path. You can prove it by writing f as a Taylor's series, dividing each term by (z- z0)n+1 and then integrating term by term. It is easy to show that [itex]\int (z-z_0)^n dz[/itex] over a closed path containing z0 is 0 for any n other than -1 and is [itex]2\pi i[/itex] when n= -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?