1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of matrix AB?

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the given matrices to find (AB)^-1

(These are 2 X 2 matrices, please ignore the fraction bar in between the top and bottom elements. I can't figure this stupid latex piece of crap out)

A[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{-1}{2}} \ldots \frac{\frac{-5}{2}}{\frac{3}{2}}\right)[/tex]

B[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{\frac{2}{3}}{\frac{-1}{3}} \ldots \frac{\frac{4}{3}}{\frac{5}{2}}\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Only the one for inverse matrices which states,

(AB)[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = B[tex]^{-1}[/tex]A[tex]^{-1}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer I get in the end is:

(AB)[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{\frac{-1}{3}}{\frac{-17}{12}} \ldots \frac{\frac{1}{3}}{\frac{55}{12}}\right)[/tex]

But the book gets,

(AB)[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = [tex]\left(\frac{\frac{-1}{3}}{-1} \ldots \frac{\frac{1}{3}}{\frac{10}{3}}\right)[/tex]

Am I the one doing something wrong, or is the book wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you copied the matrices correctly, your answer is correct.
    If the 5/2 in (2,2)-entry of [itex]B^{-1}[/itex] is supposed to be 5/3 then the book is correct.

By the way, click the formula to see the LaTeX code:
    [tex]
    A^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{2} & -\frac52 \\ \-\frac{1}{2} & \frac{3}{2} \end{pmatrix} =
    \frac12 \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & -5 \\
    -1 & 3
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    Nope, the book says what I wrote. I'm not surprised though; I've found several typos in the questions in this particular textbook...

Thanks a lot for the clarification, I thought maybe I was missing some obscure rule :p.

Also, thanks for showing how to use the LaTex code properly :)

5. Apr 26, 2009 #4
    I find it a lot more easy to calculate AB first,then the inverse...

just a tip,since the main question was already answered

6. Apr 30, 2009 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case your approach would take longer, because you first have to calculate A and B from their inverses, then multiply them and finally take the inverse of that, while just multiplying the two given matrices in the correct order gives you the right answer immediately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook