1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of Matrix of Matrices

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I have the following matrix of matrices

[tex]\mathbf{H}=\begin{array}{cc}\mathbf{A}&\mathbf{B}\\\mathbf{B}^H&\mathbf{A}\end{array}[/tex]

where each element is a square matrix, A is a diagonal matrix of real numbers, whereas B is not (necessarily), and the superscript H means conjugate transpose.

Now I have the following matrix

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\mathbf{H}^H(\mathbf{H}\mathbf{H}^H+\alpha\mathbf{I})^{-1}[/tex]

where 'alpha' and 'I' are a constant scalar and the identity matrix, respectively. Will this matrix exhibit the same structure as H. In other words, can we write G as:

[tex]\mathbf{G}=\begin{array}{cc}\mathbf{A}_G & \mathbf{B}_G \\ \mathbf{B}^H_G &\mathbf{A}_G \end{array}[/tex]

Via simulation it looks like it does, but I am wondering how to prove this mathematically?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook