1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse of matrix

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    I'm having trouble with the following question - parts b, c and d. Can someone please help me out?

Q. 3-d rotations - Consider the matrix:

A\left( \theta \right) = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {\cos \theta } & { - \sin \theta } & 0 \\
    {\sin \theta } & {\cos \theta } & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 1 \\
    \end{array}} \right]

a) Evaluate det(A(theta)).
    b) Interpret geometrically the effect of multiplying a vector by A(theta).
    c) Show that [tex]A\left( \theta \right)A\left( \phi \right) = A\left( {\theta + \phi } \right)[/tex] and interpret this result.
    d) Use the previous part to find the inverse of A(theta). How does this compare with the transpose A(theta)^T - the transpose of A(theta).

The answer to part 'a' is 1 which wasn't all that difficult to get. I'm not sure about part b. Ignoring the 3 row and 3rd column I have a 2 by 2 matrix which represents a rotation through an angle of theta in the anti-clockwise direction (in the x-y plane) but I'm not sure how to ineterpret the given 3 by 3 matrix.

I could show the result of part 'c' but again, I don't know how to interpret the result. I think that it might just be the application of A(phi) followed by A(theta).

I have no idea as to how to part 'd.'

Any help would be good thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already identified it as a rotation if you consider the xy-plane. So you know what it does to the unit vectors x and y. What does the transformation do to the unit z vector?
    If you know the interpretation, the rest is easy.
  4. Sep 20, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If multiplying a vector by a matrix causes a movement (as rotation), then the inverse matrix causes the opposite movement.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?