Inverse of the curl

1. I want to express A as a function of B in the following equation:

curl{A}=B

So I need the inverse of the curl operator, but I don't know if it exist.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. It's called vector potential

4. Redbelly98

Redbelly98 12,029
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no unique solution for A. You can always add a vector field of zero curl to one solution and get another solution.

5. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,308
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If A= f(x,y,z)i+ g(x,y,z)j+ h(x,y,z)k then curl A = (h_y- g_z)i+ (f_z- h_x)j+ (g_x- f_y)k.

If you are given that curl A= B= p(x,y,z)i+ q(x,y,z)j+ r(x, y, z)k then you must solve the system of equation h_y- g_z= p, f_z- h_x= q, g_x- f_y= r.

Since those are partial differential equations, the "constants of integration" will be functions of x, y, z. That is why, as RedBelly98 says, "You can always add a vector field of zero curl".

6. arildno

arildno 12,015
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that this non-uniqueness is not something that is a strange facet by the vector potential only.

You know of it from before, as the so-called "constant of integration".
    When doing partials, functions of the other variables will be "constants" with respect to that variable you have differentiated with respect to.

A far more important question, though, is, not uniqueness vs. non-uniqueness, but existence vs. non-existence of the vector potential(s)!

Do you know, given B, how to be certain that at least one "A" exists?

7. Consider the vector field defined by:

[tex] \mathbf{A}(\mathbf{x}) = \int_0^1 \mathbf{B}(\lambda \mathbf{x}) \wedge (\lambda\mathbf{x})\, \mathrm{d}\lambda[/tex].

You might like to show that if [tex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{B}=0[/tex], then [tex]\nabla \wedge \mathbf{A} = \mathbf{B}[/tex]. Obviously this [tex]\mathbf{A}[/tex] is not unique.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?